Sign in to follow this  
Guest ivorlm

Flying without a flight plan

Guest ivorlm

Now that I know I am able to fly by just using VNAV and LNAV, I want to fly without a flight plan, so i can use the STARS and approaches of the FMC in order to automatically line the plane with the runway. However the problem here is that when going to a destination airport, you cannot tell which runway you going to land on. When having a flight plan, atc usually tells you which runway you going to land on when around 80nm out and usually starts giving you vectors in order to line you up. However, when not using a flight plan, you can only tune in to the airport atc when around 10nm out. Is there a way i could get to know which runway i am to land on, when not using a flight plan, from before?ThanksIvor

Hello Ivor,First, in the r/w there are rules about flying VFR (without a flight plan) into controlled airspace at an airport. You have to contact the appropriate approach and/or tower facilities to be cleared into the airspace. As in an IFR flight (with a flight plan) ATC will provide instructions and clearance for landing. The following link provides a good summary explanation of the different types and rules for controlled airspace.http://explanation-guide.info/meaning/Cont...d-airspace.htmlIf simulating r/w ATC is not important for you, larger US Airports have ATIS/AWOS frequencies. These services will provide the airport

Guest sj3

To add to George's comments, airport ATIS will usually provide the current default runway used for, usually VFR, landings.

Guest ivorlm

George,First of all thanks for your reply. How could I contact the various approaches in fs? As much as possible, I try to be as realistic as possible when flying, and at the same time, I will be learning.Thanks and RegardsIvor