Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Strange PC problem...

I recently upgraded my PC from a 1.4Ghz AMD chip to a AMD 2100+ chip. I also added an additional harddrive. The computer and the sim, FS2002 work perfectly. The problem I am having is when I turn the PC on now, the PC start with no problem, I hear the fan running and the harddrive light comes on like it should, but my monitor won't come on. The only way to get the monitor to come on is to wait about 5 to 10 minutes and hit the reset button (restart the computer) and press any key onthe keyboard. It almost seems like the computer has to warm up before it can start. After I've been using the PC for ahwile I can turn it off and then turn it back on and it starts without a problem. Any idea, this didn't happen until after the upgrade. Thanks for any help.

Your vid card switches monitor on maybe lazy - could u try a different vid card to see if it comes on straight away and then have u installed new drvrs. I try the drvrs I got with the card and go backwards, sometimes it works.

It might be BIOS related. After the upgrade, did you enter the BIOS to set the new timings for your CPU? If not, you may very well be getting a POST error before the video is initialized. By pressing a key, you're most likely telling the BIOS to continue the bootup, which is allowing the video to be initialized.Not knowing your MB or BIOS type, that's all I can offer at this point, but it sure sounds like that's what the issue is.. On the next reset, try to enter the BIOS and verify your MB/CPU timings...Regards,John

Bursco, I've installed all the latest drivers still no joy.John, I did flash my BIOS prior to installing the new chip, I have BioStar MVKD7 motherboard and I installed the latest Bios offered by BioStar. When I go into the Bios to verify the timing settings what exactly should I be looking for? THanks for your help!!

Depends on the BIOS/CPU...Most BIOS's select the CPU speed by using a multiplier against another value, which depends on the cpu's FSB speed. One example is my P3/800, which uses a 100 MHZ FSB speed. I use a multiplier of 8 in my BIOS. But there are also 133MHZ FSB P3/800's, which take a different (lower) multiplier.Since you flashed the BIOS, even your memory timings could be set incorrectly--that's been enough to cause post errors on my (Pentium based) system. It may even be worthwhile to find the reset jumper for your BIOS, which would reset it to factory new settings. You could then go through each setting and verify whether the value is correct, and change what's needed. I had a dead MB once--exactly your issue, after I tried to overclock a system too high (last time I ever messed with overclocking, BTW). I set the reset jumper, and was able to recover what would have been a very expensive paperweight.-John

Thanks for the advice John I will dig in tonite and see what I can do?

I had a similar problem when I upgraded my Athlon XP 1800+ to Athlon XP 2000+ last week and fixed it by resetting the CMOS with the jumper on the motherboard. That might take care of your problem. The instructions for that should be on your motherboard manual.

I'm not going to pretend to be that computer literate, CMOS what is that?

I hesitate to state the obvious but have you tried reseating your GPU? The fact that the problem appears to go away after the computer has been on for a while suggests to me that it may have nothing to do with BIOS settings but may be more likely due to a poor connection improved eventually by heat.The physical act of upgrading your CPU and the flexing of the MoBo as one was removed and the other replaced may just have compromised the integrity of the electrical connection between the contacts between the AGP slot and your vid card.Just a thought!Mike :-wave

Actually Mike,This should be pretty easy for me to check I watch the CPU temp readout very closely because when I first got the 1.4Mghz chip it would constantly overheat and cause the PC to lock up, so I now run it with the box open, I'll look at the temp today, if it's way below the 1.4ghz chip's temp then I'll know there might be an issue. As it is right now this is just a small nuisance my fear is that it may get progressively worse.

No disrespect, but I'm not sure you fully understood what I am getting at.All I am suggesting is that you remove your graphic card and then replace it firmly back in the AGP slot. Then restart your computer and see if the problem has been resolved.Mike :-wave

It's where your computer stores your important settings. You access it usually by hitting Delete when you're booting up.