Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

OT, but you guys would know..."mouse"

Guest Lizardo

Time to buy a new mouse. Years of the usual type mouse, thinking of one with the big ball on top. (a) good idea, they are perfect (:( no way!

Guest Heather 636

No way! IMHOTried one of those, just never could get comfortable with it.I now use and would not replace, a Logitech Optics Mouse (neutered, no balls). Also, no need of a mouse pad.If you use your computer as often as I do, you'll love not having to clean mouse balls every time you turn around (BAD mental picture)Oh yeah! It also has the scrolling wheel between the buttons. REALLY nice when you are browsing the web or searching through a large folder.I realize that what you are considering would also eliminate that problem. But I prefer this one, as well as my brother and two of his friends.If you're undecided, go to Wal Mart and makes sure they have BOTH of what you are considering. Try one out and if you don't like it, take it back and exchange it. They'll exchange ANYTHING!.Or ask the store where you buy it, to try it out that is and if you can exchange it if you don't like it.Good mouse hunting!Heather

I agree with Heather on the subject of trackballs -- I wouldn't use 'em, as the few times I've been forced to (by users whose machine I had to work on) they drove me crazy. Then again, some people love them, so if you can get a return policy you could always try one out for a week or two.After living with wireless mice (not accurate enough for graphics) and other alternatives (tablet mice are wireless, accurate, but can't find one nice enough to fit my hand) I've returned to wired optical (like Heather) but the MS variety. I really like the smaller version, fits my hand nice and I don't use a mousepad anymore. If you haven't tried the optical mice you owe it to yourself -- just not having to use a mousepad alone is worth it.

Guest Lizardo

Thanks for the input..when I touched that ball and it went 50 directions, I could "see" a cursor doing the same, haha. I found the opticals not precise enough for some games, and of course you have to own EverReady for a cordless. So I guess I'll stick with "ordinary". I quit using a mouse pad years ago, saves a lot of interior cleaning.

The scrolling wheel is also geat for dialing in radio freqs or heading bug adjustments or any other thing on the panel in FS2002. Just point to an item and get the +/- sign (doesent matter which) and spin that little wheel back and forth and you can easily tune in a freq or adjust the heading or OBS or what ever you are adjusting. I think my next mouse will be and optical cordless. I want to be able to run it on my kneeboard without having wires draped over my legs.Ken

Defininetly no on the trackball. Check out these, they are a little bit more, but well worth it, especially for gaiming.http://www.razerzone.com/products/-------------Michael"The one fellow who is really broke in the air is the one who is out of both altitude and airspeed" (Wolfgang Langewieche, Stick and Rudder)

Something I noticed with a friends optical mouse on my recent trip to Britain. The cursor seemed erratic, I noticed the 'plain' surface and suggested the user use something with a pattern to place the mouse on.This immediately solved to problem.Also it's becomes immediately apparent how you miss the scroll wheel when using some one elses mouse.

If you haven't tried the "new" generation of opticals (about the last year or so) you should -- I do precision graphics and nothing requires more accuracy (certainly nothing in a game requires a pixel accuracy with a steady hand) and the MS variants are like lasers in their tracking, no matter what the surface (even if you run them on your leg -- no kidding!).

Guest sgreenwood

[table width=700][tr][td valign="top" style="font-size:13;" width="400" ](a) good idea, they are perfect I've owned and used both styles for several years.I use a MS optical mouse (wired) on my laptop, and it works very well. You don't need a mousepad, but I treat mine to an "oriental rug"! (Very smooth surface.)But for the long hours I spend on the machine I use most of the time, I prefer my Logitech TrackMan Marble FX. It has a large trackball, which helps with precise positioning, and I prefer working with a stationary device. It does take a little practice to get used to, but with the proper setup and the 4 buttons programmed (providing "scrolling wheel" functionality, ...), it's hard to beat.[/td][td style=font-size:10;" width="100" valign="top" align="right]http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d2dcd28103622f6.gifavailable at http://www.mouserug.com/[/td][/tr][/table]Cheers,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest Dominik Mann

I, too, once had a trackball. I did not have any comfort issues with it, but its major deficiency was that the ball (:-)) and motion sensing gear would dirty up even quicker than on a normal mouse. Today I have a M$ Intellimouse Optical USB, and am completely satisfied with it. Optical sensor cannot clog up, and the scrolling wheel is really useful (also when working on a Word document, or things like that).

Guest SoarPics

Hi Lizardo,Thought I'd throw in my 2 cwnts worth:(:( no way!Up until this spring I had used them for years. Started having great pain in my wrist, and my MD discovered I've developed some carpal tunnel. So, I quickly replaced all the trackballs in my life (company and home) with some IBM optical critters (the new ones) and they work great. No wrist problems since then (and I just spent 4 1/2 days doing 2400 miles thru the western U.S. on my Honda CBR 929RR with no problems).And the TB's are a pain to clean, and the cordless one I had at the house devoured batteries, and...Regards,

Guest Lizardo

Hmmm. The optical one I did have was like $5; think you guys have talked me into a $$ one :-) Thanks to all!

Guest Grey_Wolf

No one will take my Trackball from me unless its from my cold dead fingers! BWAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA AHA H HAHHAHA.Honestly I love it, I have a certin acuracy and precision I never found in any mouce I ever used, including the high end optical mice.My paticuler Logitech track ball has the scroll wheel as well as two extra buttons.. in all 5 types of clicks.. As far as medical concerns, track balls were recomended to me from my doctor because of the lack of wrist movement.. proper wrist support is important though, as with keyboards.

Hi I do use a track ball for several progies but they do take some getting used to. For things like working in my 3D modeling programs like Maya or 3DSMaxgmax where I need fine control( I use one with a extra large ball) but for games I would stick to a standard opticalmouse. The above is just my two cents worth of course. Danhttp://members.rogers.com/klasik2/danlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif