Sign in to follow this  
Guest DP1

Upgrade to 800/900?

Guest DP1

I have the 600/700 at present which I am very happy with. Am I correct to assume that the 600/700 will undergo some changes if I update to the 800/900? What don't I have in the 600/700 now that would be added with the upgrade?Dave

Guest Soulman

Hi Dave,About the only noticeable changes are SPD INTV and ALT INTV buttons are placed on the MCP and the Virtual Cockpit becomes fully clickable - in the sense that you can theoritcally fly the entire flight from startup to shutdown using solely the Virtual Cockpit.Overall, they are reasonably small changes and you should still feel right at home with your 600/700 after the upgrades. It is well worth the money though - the 800/900's are just as, if not more amazing than the original NG's.Like I said, the change in your older panels will be subtle - but buying the upgrade will surely impress you.Cheers,Jeremy Soulsby.Oh, by the way - you've gotta love TCAS too!

Guest Soulman

Sorry Randy, I didn't think the changes made to the 600/700 cockpit upon upgrade to the 800/900 were that major.Perhaps you would care to elaborate?I'm not having a dig at you - just would like to know what you see as major changes.Cheers,Jeremy Soulsby.

Well since some artwork items on the 600-700 were from me like the reworked MCP, GEAR HANDLE, FLAPS in the ZOOM panel and CDU and the only thing left of my stuff is the CDU I would say it was a major change. If you are talking about artwork alone, one only needs to look at the two to see major artwork changes, they are 2 completly different panels. This also goes for the night version bitmaps. So maybe you were not looking close enough eh? EDIT: A complete overhaul on a product's cockpit artwork in no way is a minor or small detail, in fact most panels take a long time to develope. The 800-900 graphics were made to look more photo like, I just don't want to minimize the effort by Mr Mark on the very fine job he did. I think everyone agrees with me..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]I WANT MY 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)

Guest Soulman

Ok man... Point taken.Like I said I wasn't trying to get you worked up and I sincerely apologise to both you and Mr Mark for offending your work.Again, this was not my intention. I love the PMDG series just like you do - but as far as saying 'they are two completely different panels' - you do mean cosmetically don't you?Jeremy.

Yes, the 600-700 panels were *re-worked* so are in fact different. The night panel is totally new. If we are talking about the systems on the aircraft these are even more changed than the graphics. Practically every system was modified, re-worked, tweaked, added to, and items fixed and new items implemented. The list is very long. Take the FMS, it's so much more advanced in the 800-900. Rob gave a patial list of changes prior to it was released, not sure where the post went and even that long list was not complete..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]I WANT MY 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)

No, not only cosmetically.The 800/900 also feature an EFIS/Map panel type, whereby you have the main instruments be presented in a round dial format (as if they were your old -200 type dials).I'd consider this the most major main panel change.Also, I'd factor in the new TCAS implementation (jointly developed with Lee Hetherington), major art improvements, new FMC stuff, new autobrake functionality (corrected this time), 100% accurate GPWS behaviour, etc. etc.I'd say you'd like to get it soon! :-)

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

Guest DP1

I've had a look at the Purchase page where purchasers need to register and I am unsure just how the 800/900 is delivered, ie. is it by post or can it be downloaded? The only choice I could see was where it was to be shipped, nothing about a download.dave

Guest Soulman

Only available via download Dave - approx. 45MBCheers,Jeremy Soulsby.

For me one major cosmetical correction is, that the lower edge of the overhead panel now became visible in main panel view. This defintely improves a kind of 3d feeling in 2d mode.Wolfgang

Guest DP1

JeremyYeh I saw that it was only available by download but when I go to purchase page everything points to a shipment by post and Nothing about a download anywhere on the page. They want me to register then fill out my shipment details, that's not where I need to be. I need to find the download page.Dave

>Only available via download Dave - approx. 45MB>>Cheers,>>Jeremy Soulsby. That is only true for a little while longer as a CD version is in the works exactly like the 600-700 edition. Not sure when so don't ask ;-DBest Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]I WANT MY 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)

Guest DP1

Hmmm.. I bit the bullet last night & stumbled my way through the purchase pages & the 44mb dl, with success in the end. Anyway after posting questions in this thread I can now enlighten those who might want to follow the same path. After loading the 700/800's and obviously updating the existing 600/700's my opinion is that the 600/700's have a much better more realistic looking panel than the old original. There are probably some updated gauges and other "stuff" too but at this stage I haven't had time to find them all. I think the 700 I normally fly now has a working TCAS but as I looked at that at 3:00am this morning I won't make that 100%, yet. The panels are similar right across the range but definately a big improvement on the old original 600/700's. As yet I haven't been in the new VC's as my computer doesn't run them as I would wish (a bit slow). I took the 800 for a quick circuit and discovered some new sounds too. I can see lots of fun over the next few days or weeks with so many models to test fly. Download a few paint jobs & the possibilities increase again with winglets or without. If you are considering the upgrade I think your efforts would be well rewarded. Well done PMDG.

Guest BernBear

>I'd say you'd like to get it soon! :-)Lefteris,What a shameless plug :-) But, oh, so true!The PMDG 6/700 was the first commercial airplane addon for FS I ever bought, mainly because many people in the Active Sky forum were raving about it. I absolutely loved it!Then when the 8/900 came out I was asking myself whether I was really prepared to spend more than I had paid for FS9 ($40+$28) for addon planes. I eventually caved in and I'm glad I did :-)Even though, in the meantime, I have bought other commercial airplane addons (one of them because I wanted a long range plane), over 90% of my flying is in the various PNDG 737s. Ok, enough of my rambilng! Thanks for the 737s and the 747-400, MD11, BBJ, ..., ..., ... Yours are the only addon aircraft I'll buy as soon as they come out, without waiting for any reviews!Best RegardsMax (Bern, LSZB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg