Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Is this VNAV ALT?

Have I got this right:VNAV ALT is a "holding" altitude. For e.g., if I'm climbing to FL330, and I am given clearance to FL270 only, if I don't get cleared beyond that on the way up, I dial 270 into the ALT window and when I get there, VNAV levels me off into VNAV ALT. When I am cleared to FL330, I dial in FL330 to the FMC, and hit the FMC to resume climb.It's the reverse for descents.Is this correct?Jonathan

Guest Erups

>>Have I got this right:>>VNAV ALT is a "holding" altitude.Yes>For e.g., if I'm climbing>to FL330, and I am given clearance to FL270 only, if I don't>get cleared beyond that on the way up, I dial 270 into the ALT>window and when I get there, VNAV levels me off into VNAV ALT.Yes> When I am cleared to FL330, I dial in FL330 to the FMC, and>hit the FMC to resume climb.No, you dial 33000 in the MCP, and push the ALT INTV.

OK, Claudio, that's great, thanks for posting.Jonathan

Guest tmetzinger

>>OK, Claudio, that's great, thanks for posting.>>Jonathanone other use for VNAV ALT - when you've got altitude constraints in the FMC (set as part of a DP or STAR, or manually entered in the LEG page), hitting VNAV ALT will ERASE the next active constraint. This can be useful if ATC clears you to an altitude above or below your constraint and you're told to disregard the constraint.

OK, Tim, thanks for this interesting follow-up. I am studying more on VNAV right now...!JS

Yes, Randy, appreciate the reminder. I recall my recent flight to Nice (LFMN) in which that happened when I wanted to go to a cruise alt of 380 from 410 and I went into a DES mode.I am printing and saving these forum threads for my PMDG manual. I've covered about 85% of the NG so far in my study time, and VNAV is most of my FS "homework" these days!Jonathan