Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather 636

Which plane to take on a World Flight?

Guest Dominik Mann

Some time ago I made a series of FSNav plans for a round-the-world trip and exported them to 2K2 format, so that I could call them up in the flight planner. I made these plans with a Learjet in mind, and thus I set out on the first two or three legs with just that plane. However, for some reason I just cannot really feel at home in that plane, since I try to imagine I would really have to live and feel comfortable in that plane if it wasn't only a virtual trip. Therefore I am thinking about starting all over again. But before I do so, let's do a little poll :-) ... Which plane (or planes :-) ) would you pick for such a journey, be it virtual or real?Here's a rough selection what I might go for on my "relaunch" ...* DC-8 1st prototype (FS version by HJG)* Piaggio Avanti (Massimo Taccoli recreated this one)* Blackburn Buccaneer (BIG THANK YOU to Giovanni Clemente!)* HS Trident (kudos to Dave Maltby)* BAC One-Eleven (does Project Freeware mean anything to you? :-) )Additional suggestions welcome! :DSorry for this odd request, but since I won't be able to do a real world trip anytime soon (much less be piloting myself...) I would like to have done it in FS at least :-) ."Straighten Up and Fly Right"

First choice: C17 "Big Bertha"Second choice: F14 TomcatChoice depends on how long your bladder can last. :-beerchug

I'm going to do it (over the course of months, natch) but I don't see any point in doing it in anything other than a GA plane, at low altitudes. Indeed, I would most likely do it in a seaplane, probably the Cessna Amphib supplied in FS2K2 (just like a real-world around the world trip that's going on even as we speak -- I have the web site bookmarked at work if you're interested).Why fly above the world at 30K? You might as well do what real pilots do then and put it on autopilot and go to sleep (LOL).

Guest Scott Campbell

There are a couple aircraft that I do fly around the world with.777-200ER, 747-400ER, A340-200ER - one stop - 2 18-hour flights. Lots of comfort, especially if empty.GV - Can't go wrong with a GV-sp.Any long-range biz jet will do.For more of a challenge, do prop flights. You have some nice aircraft listed. For a really good challenge, follow the Round-The-World plans people had with that. They were flying anything from Cessna 172's to larger twins and DC-6's.To reenact a first, a 707-200 LR (or a 720). First US-to-Sydney non-stop by Quantas.You can do a really fun flight in a Lancair. Really crampt and mostly manual flight, but really fun.My personal fav will be a space-plane (not really space, will go to FL1000, Mach 4.5, 5 minutes of micro-gravity, 90 minutes to anywhere). But there's no way to make an air file work in 2K2. I know.There's a lot of ways to go. Just have fun, but remember, when you go outside the scenery won't change. ;-)

I had a World Flight in mind too, but cancelled this trip back in Fall due school. :)I would choose following aircrafts- Learjet 45- Cessna Caravan- Boeing Sonic Cruiser OR- The M400 Skycar (up to 350mph, 30,000 ft)Here is the M400 Skycar:http://www.simviation.com/pageimages/SCYellow.JPGGreetz,Chris

Guest Dominik Mann

@ James:*LOL* No kidding...*the* John Travolta???? :-eek How did he get this idea???

Well as far as I know, he ownes an old 707 from Quantas and some others planes (?). So he thought to do the Pilot's license, and now he is flying for Quantas. :D Am I wrong?Greetz,Chris

Guest Scott Campbell

Chris,He isn't flying for Quantas, but he is a spokesperson for them. His round-the-world flight promotes both him and the company (for substantial bucks, I might add). I think the 707 he's flying IS the actual plane that started the LAX-YSSY route, but I don't remember.

Guest Dominik Mann

@ James:Yup, must be nice to have a real BIG executive plane like this :-) . However, I would prefer a DC-8 or VC-10 :-cool ...!

Guest emergency_pants

...my updated post below...

Guest emergency_pants

>(just like a real-world around the world trip that's going >on even as we speak -- I have the web site bookmarked at >work if you're interested)Kelleym, is that the Najaco RTW flight in a Caravan? I have the flight plan ready made in FSNav4 if anyone would like it.. or could export it as a FS2002 pln. It has ALOT of waypoints, but I have placed waypoints at every landing place that the Najaco will be landing. It lands/flies over every country of the world!!My favourite aircraft for a RTW flight would be the Caravan Amphibian and the Piper Cheyenne 400. I'm currently using both to do Capt Slarty and Dean's RTW Buzz. If you're gonna tour the World, I don't see any point in doing it at 30,000ft. You might as well just buy a ticket and sit in a passenger seat of a jumbo! I think, if you're gonna fly rtw, you might as well see it all and fly it all!I'll be flying my legs online from now on, so keep an eye out.Cheers,Simon.

Hy!I did it in the Learjet 45 last year, departing from Stuttgart (EDDS) to the east. It

Guest Heather 636

Awww, why do you want to do it in one of those new-fangled jets for?I completed (and won) a Round-the-World Rally race shortly before joining up with DC-3 Airways and AVSIM.Did it all in my Gooney.Started at London City airport and ended there.25,720.9 Nautical Miles143.37 HoursFlew at 500 feet ASL/AGL whenever I could to get the best speed, but man!, did she guzzle the gas!Mt' Everest was interesting as the Gooney has a bit of a problem at those altitudes. Made it as high as 24,500 before she was wanting to fall out of the sky.This was a "props-only" race. Almost took the Connie but at the time, didn't trust my experience for a plane that size. Good thing too in hindsight considering some of the little scratches called runways that I had landed on.I have a slide show of 572 pictures covering that race. It was a lot of fun but low fuel had me on the edge of my seat a few times when no land was in sight. Was glad when it was finally over though. That was a LONG flight!Have fun!Heather