Sign in to follow this  
hookandbook2

Trim......what trim???

I bought the 600/700 a week or so ago...great plane! I plan on going to the 800/900 soon too. But, for the life of me, I can't find any rudder or aileron trim? Surely there is rudder/aileron trim in the NG'sMike

Guest DP1

I can't remember the 600/700 now but I think they are in the 800/900 ok. Look in the radio pop up panel.dave

I looked at the throttle quadrent and the radio sub-panel. No trim! I guess for the 600/700 package this was left out. I assume the 800/900 package has this??mike brown

Guest frankathl

Hi Mike,There are rudder trim and aileron trim switches on the aft electronics panel, between the transponder and the ADF. Only the rudder trim is functional, however.BR,Frank

Elevator trim works fine as well. I have it assigned to a rocker switch on my yoke.

Guest boxjockey99

I have to confess I haven't played with the rudder / aileron trim but will take the other posters word for the rudder trim working as advertised. The trims are electric and situated on the radio pedestal on the real aircraft although their position on the pedestal varies with customer fit requirements. To be honest we only use the rudder trim occassionally and in the 6 months of flying the 737 I have yet to actaully use the aileron trim at all as it is the most twitchy and potentially dangerous bits of kit I have seen (demonstrated in the sim) if used improperly.Bear in mind that rudder trim is only used in 2 main areas, firstly in the event of an engine failure / asymetric thrust situation it is used to reduce required rudder inputs as you would expect. on older aircraft you must take into account that the aircraft may be 'bent' which also necessitates the use of rudder trim. The normal application method in both cases is simple, look at the yoke and see if it is straight. if not then rudder trim towards the side which is low thust the yoke should striaghten (this assumes you are using the autopilot). Now we as simmers have no yoke so you will need to do it slightly differently, centre the controls and monitor any roll (not this is without a/p). If the aircraft rolls to the left for example you would need to hold right aileron to maintain level flight so effectively the yoke is low on the right and thus needs right rudder trim so apply some trim and then repeat to see if you need more or less than you just applied and so on. The reverse is true if the aircraft rolls right. Note since the PMDG flight model is effectively that of a new airframe it is unlikely to be 'bent' and so should require little if any trim when you have symetrical thrust! Happy trailsKris