Sign in to follow this  
Guest doc_d

Framerate problems..

Guest doc_d

I have a somewhat weird problem. Just installed both 600/700 and 8/900 versions. Did a testflight in the 800 and the fr was horrible.. Im talking 3-4 fps. Spotview etc was fine with 20-25 fps, this just happened in the 2d or vc views.Im running fs9.0 on a 3.2ghz p4 with 1gb of paired PC4000 ram and a GeForce6800Ultra/256mbSurely my setup should give better frame-rates than the ones Im accieving at the moment?(this has not been a problem with other addons I have, so it must be related to the pmdg 737 in some way) Thanks for any help in resolving this.Christian Quaynor

Hi Christian,Had a similar problem once where my FPS all of a sudden dropped for no appearent reason and the solution was to delete fs9.cfg and have FS recreate it. Still don't know what was wrong with my fs9.cfg file but having it recreated was the only solution at that time.Might be worth a try to simply rename or move your fs9.cfg temporary and see if it helps.Good luck!

Richard Åsberg

Guest SAS784

Without a doubt you have a weird problem. I have about the same computer specs as you (except I'm running an ATI Radeon x600 256mb and only 512MB in ram) and I have amazing fps (if set to unlimited I never go below 40) with the PMDG, and that's in high density 3rd party scenery with AI traffic and Active Sky in 2D view. If I use VC I stay between 25-30.Have you tried re-installing the PMDG? To me this sounds as if something within the simulator is working against each other. I remember I had the same problem with my old computer running FS2002 at some occations, it fixed itself though so I never knew what the problem was. Are you running any programs simulatenously as the simulator, like Active Sky or something? Try the aircraft in various environments (default vs. addon sceneries etc.) and maybe you'll be able to pin-point what's wrong.Sorry if I couldn't be of more help.Regards,Fredrik (Oceanic Airways Web and Graphics Developer and avid PMDG simmer!)

Guest doc_d

Thanks for the replies.Actually.. I have always thought FS9 has behaved alittle strange. I dont have alot of add-on scenery, but am usually quite keen to bump up the graphics in general (I'm a graphics-buff, so I want it to look prrrrrretty) and Ive always thought the performance I was getting was really low. Im talking about default flight, default cessna, and maybe 25-30 fps and decreasing with other airplanes/ecenery. Now, that doesnt seem too "high-spec" to me, so I have constantly been monitoring and getting irritated over lack of decent performance with what at least I think is above standard equipment computer-wise, but this 3-4 fps with the 737 is just too much.. Im tearing my hair out and screaming at the sky.. why.. why.. WHYYYY!??? heheI think maybe I'll try to reinnstall the whole fs9 to make sure thats not the problem. I also think I saw somewhere that there are certain detonator-drivers that are better than others..!? I have the most recent, and am happy with performance in everything not FS related! :)ANY hints and tips are welcome (Especially if it doesnt require reinnstalling everything, including fs9, as thats a lot of work, and I would like to avoid it if possible)Thanks in advance

If I were in your situaiton I would try the following in this specific order:1. Check in fs9.cfg and make sure that your current gfx card is the only one present in fs9.cfg. If you have entries for your old card(s)...remove those entries2. Download a program called Driver Cleaner 3. Follow the instructions included with the program and make sure you get rid of any old drivers and then do a fresh install of the latest reference drivers from Nvidia. Once you're at it, won't hurt to also make sure you use the latest drivers for your sound card and your chipset. You can find and download the drivercleaner program here -> http://www.drivercleaner.net3. Rename/move fs9.cfg and have FS create a new and fresh one4. Try PMDG's removal tool and do a fresh installation of the PMDG a/cAfter following these steps your problem should be solved, but if not and as a last resort number 5......delete and do a fresh install of FS9.Hope you manage to work the problem out!!Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Christian,Could you take a screenshot of your PMDG panel and post it here?

Guest 320MAD

Hey there I also have a similar spec and have noticed a huge frame rate hit when I use the 737, however it's not as bad as 3 - 4 fps. I run all the settings on FS2004 maxed out and I get and average of 65 FPS in hong kong at dusk with x4 AA and x16 AF. when I used the 737ng it goes down to about 30 (this is in VC not 2d). I suppose it's to be expected with all the display panels etc. I also have the PIC A320 but they have set up their panels so that you get better quality running them on low vc gauge quality. I suggest you check you have the latest drivers / bios / chipset drivers before doing anything else.Just my 2C320MAD

Guest doc_d

Actually, I created a new config file for FS9 yesterday and dl and installed the newest drivers from nVidia (released 9.nov.04) and that seems to have solved my problem. I now get 15-20 fps in both vc and 2d om the 737.. thats alot better than what I had before, so Im at least able to fly the damn thing now :)Regarding the fps in itself, I have no idea what to expect, but 15-20 still seems alittle low, but acceptable320MAD: Your setup outshines mine by far.. I have a *regular* PIV 3.2 w/1mb cache, while you run the Extreme Ed, which should give you an additional 30fps. You also have more RAM.. I wish it were true tho, that we had a similar setup (Well.. even more similar than whats actually the case) :D

Guest 320MAD

Hey mate it's not a case of "outshining" it's just a case of what a particular person thinks is right for their needs. As for the extra 30fps hmmm might in some games but not in FS2004. The only time I can run above 60fps with my current settings is to use the default FS2004 aircraft. Then I max out at 80fps. When using 3rd party aircraft my avg frames with all settings maxed is about 30. I have a clean install so it's not the drivers etc. I know one thing that in the VC the refresh update settings affects the frame rates a lot!!!Cheers bro hope you have fun320MADPS should change my nick I'm a Boeing fan now ;)