Sign in to follow this  
kerke

Approach nose-up attitude

I fly my PMDG 737NG-800 by the book, I use Puta's excellent fuel planning tool to calculate my required fuel and ZFW, I input all FMC "required" fields, and use LNAV/VNAV from 500-1000' AGL until my last STAR fix, by the book, I think :7However, on downwind, base and final approach, my FMC-generated flap speed bugs are very low. In other words, if I follow the FMC-recommended flap schedule (ie UP at 200 KIAS, 1 at 190, 5 @ 165), my aircraft flies with a nose-up attitude of 10 degrees and sometimes more!I realize that the FMC calculates the optimal flap schedule based on weight, fuel left, and a zillion other things, but following these setting recommendations produces an exaggerated (IMHO) nose-up attitude. Does the real NG have the same low speed nose-up attitude? or am I doing something wrong?If required, I'll be happy to produce a few side-view and panel screenshots to demonstrate the issue.Thank you all in advance,Kerke :-waveKMIA

First of all. Pilots mostly don't use the flap schedule, they see from time to time for selecting a flap. Second: Were can I find the Puta's fuel planner??? :) ;)

Hi Kerke,There are plcard speeds that you cannot exceed. I too fly by the book and these are my approach speeds and flap schedule. Try them and see if your nose high attitude goes away.250k flaps 1, 2, or 3210k flaps 10 (my approach speed)195k flaps 15 (I fly at 190 to intercept the localizer on base)170k flaps 25 (G/S intercept)140k flap 40 (landing speeds)With this schedule I approach at about 3 degrees nose up.Hope this helpsBob

Guest JamesA

Hi,As you said Bob, those are the speeds that you shouldn't exceed; however, it's better not to use them as a flap extention schedule. Use the marks on the airspeed tape as a schedule for flap extention. For example, when passing through the "UP" marker (about 200kts), set flaps to 1. When 1 is displayed, set to 2, etc... You don't need to do each flap setting individually, just make sure your airspeed doesn't go into the red bricks on the tape.Hope this helps.

FLAP2 will be skipped. But anyway make sure your not above the flap plcard speed before selecting a flap. You have to find out yourself when selecting flaps.Mostly I make turns to and from Base Leg with FLAPS 10, my speed should be around 170-180 Kts.Check out yourself.

>For example, when passing through>the "UP" marker (about 200kts), set flaps to 1. When 1 is>displayed, set to 2, etc... You don't need to do each flap>setting individually, just make sure your airspeed doesn't go>into the red bricks on the tape.James, that's exactly what I do -- I set flap "1" when I pass the "UP" marker, etc. But if you stick your head outside your aircraft and take an external view screenshot while flying at, say, "200 KIAS flaps 1", you will see what I mean: you nose-up attitide will be very high -- and if you happen to be making a turn to base or final, your aircraft will look like you're on takeoff instead of approach.Kerke