Sign in to follow this  
Guest JamesA

A/T during landing

Guest JamesA

Hi,Is the A/T usually disconnected before landing, or is it normally left to retard and shut off automatically?Thanks.

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey James,From the real life AOM:In all cases other than a Dual-Channel approach and autolanding with FLARE annunciated on the FMA, the autothrottle must be disconnected prior to:

Thanks,Each operator may have it's own SOP for autothrottle use during a manual landing.If not, then there is nothing in the Boeing FOM that says the autothrottle has to be turned off at a specified altitude during a manual landing. It's pilots discretion . It is not unsafe to leave the Autothrottle engaged to touchdown. Some pilots with leave the autothrottle engaged and deselect the SPEED button. Bottom line is it's up to you but during real line flying most pilots will turn off the autothrottle at some point prior to touchdown in a manual landing.Floyd

Guest Chief Wiggum

I usually land with my A/T on even on manual landings (I mean only "standby" A/T, it's not handling my speed). Isn't that correct? Why would they turn it off, if they will have to turn it on again in case of a late go-around? Wouldn't they loose some time doing this?Thanks,

Guest wee_davie_2612

Hey,Yeah should have mentioned that the info above is for disengaging an active mode of the auto thrust system. I too still leave it armed but I'll hit the speed button and control the thrust myself. If I have a go around situation all I need do is hit the toga button and it takes over.Sorry if I caused confusion.David

?,If the autothrottle is disengaged during a manual landing and you have to go-around then you have to set go-thrust the old fashion way, manually. Reengage the autothrottle when at a safe altitude and flight pathis under controll.Floyd

Guest wee_davie_2612

Floyd,Just personal preference, I've always left it armed for touchdown. It's just the way I fly it.Also from what I've read this is the usual way it is performed. To be honest it makes no odds, you still call check power which ever way you do it so you'll still get to where your going.David

David,No problem, I was actually replying to Chief Wiggum's post asking what to do if the autothrottle is disengaged when starting a go-around. Aloha,Floyd

Guest JamesA

I too meant the autopilot mode, not the actual A/T. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your replies.