Sign in to follow this  
Guest 160732

TCAS warning

Guest 160732

I have just tried a midair collision from behind when in an ILS landing procedure, there was very little time to react. What is the right procedure to change level so fast and how do you get back on the ILS afterwards.Ole

Pull back on the yoke and call a missed approach and go around.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Guest 160732

>Pull back on the yoke and call a missed approach and go>around. I was asked to decent but that's the same procedure. Thanks for the answer, I will try it next time.Ole

This is good situation to discuss the limitations of TCAS and when it may or may not be helpful. This scenario is particularly difficult due to the aircraft's proximity to terrain and/or other obstacles which the TCAS is not aware of.I believe the appropriate procedure, in this example, is to follow the TCAS instructions as long as you can do so safely. TCAS, like any instrument, is a situational awareness tool providing the PIC information and recommnedations. As PIC, one needs to quickly assess the situation and take appropriate action based on the information being provided. Whether that decision is to follow TCAS or do something else, is up to the PIC depending on the specific situation. In this scenerio, hopefully TCAS was displaying the traffic (and it was noticed) long before the alert.During an approach, bottom line is that you need to stay within the parameters of the approach procudre to ensure you don't hit anything.Once the emergency has passed, then call the missed approach and follow the missed approach procedure.Finally, my comments are based on being in IMC. If you were in VMC then hopefully you would have a few more options. :-)

Guest 160732

Hi George.Thanks for the comment, my mistake was that I was not aware of anything coming right back of me with about twice my speed (140)I have learned a lot from this and will be more carefull. As you say maybe avoid to one side if I am too low.Ole

Another good thing to be aware of is that TCAS may take you out of your aircraft's performance envelope if trying to react, particularly during an approach or departure. That is where thinking ahead of the airplane will save you, your crew and your passengers. That is why the pilot flying will always brief the approach and/or the departure, so things like this can be taken account of and a plan of action is in place.ChuckC-130H Flight EngineerDyess AFB, TXAthlon XP 2800+ | ASUS A7N8X Deluxe | Antec TruePower 480 PS | 1.0 gig DDR PC2700 | WD 60 gig HDD | WD 40 gig HDDTwin WD 160 gig SATA HDDs | SB Audigy 2 | ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128 | CH Products USB Yoke | CH Products USB PedalsNostromo n52 | Windows XP Pro SP2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg