Sign in to follow this  
Guest speight

TYRES AND PRESSURE

>I've been running nitrogen in my car tires for years. It has>been used in a/c & racing cars for a number of years. The>results could translate into a longer lasting wear since their>are less fluctuations in pressure which would dramatically>affect the wear.>>Regards,>jackHi Jack,Actually the main use of nitrogen is not for the pressure fluctuations but for it being an inert gas. Air, which contains 20.95% oxygen breaks down the tire from the inside out and, if hot enough and with enough pressure, will cause the tire to explode.On our 727's, the main wheels are inflated cold with dry nitrogen at a pressure of 180 psi. After a normal landing with moderate braking, it's not unusual to have tire pressures nearing 210 psi due to thermal fluctuation.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest gremel

John,Good point. I think the extreme fluctuations very approx. 3psi between a very hot day versus a very cold day for my tires. It's probably alot better than if I had just plain air..Regards & thanks for the input.jack

"Cargo compartment is pressurized to 8,000 ft -"At least it should on a good day ;-)Overzealous workers also have to consider what happens on bad days, too. Having a rapid decompression AND then hearing bicycle tires explode doesn't make the passengers/crew feel any more comfortable.Cheers.Idiot.