Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ray CYYZ

744 & wide screen display support

Guest Ray CYYZ

Being the happy new owner of a 23" LCD panel which just makes one drool nonstop, I thought I would ask ...Any chance of a 1920 x 1200 panel?It seems the 744 was just designed to fit it :-yellow1 Ray(btw: anyone with a couple of grand collecting dust ... I highly recommend a 23" wide screen display, it is just so much better that one can not put it into words)

I have a Viewsonic LCD with a 21.3" viewable screen and yes..it's very nice indeed.

Eric 

>(btw: anyone with a couple of grand collecting dust ... I>highly recommend a 23" wide screen display, it is just so much>better that one can not put it into words)You don't need a "couple of grand" to get equivalent effect if not better. For a mere $150 you can have high quality Fresnel lens that will magnify the display to equivalent 32" or more.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Randy,The only downside is that you need to build a housing for the lens (someting must hold it in place). I used some old heavy-duty cardboard box. And then I painted interior in black to absorb most stray light. But you end up with something that resembles professional simulator set-up.I admit I still must try one of those 3D glasses for comparison but the Fresnel effect is stunning.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest viper18799

Can you post some shots of it...I'm pretty intrested too

Guest thx1137

The fresnel lense is a good idea if you can find them though I have never seen one approach the quality of a real monitor.Where did you get yours from? I had a look around a little while ago but couldn't find a supplier, except for small lenses for aged readers anyway.Regards, Steven.

Unfortunately some think you can get by with a cheap Fresnel lens. If you do so then you may regret your purchase since quality of the image will suffer.I bought mine lens from Edmund Optics - this is tha page:http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/...?productid=2040I bougth the lens listed as part NT43-924 which is listed at $135.70. This was the "minimal" lens that would cover my 19" monitor. For someone with even higher budget and better image in mind I would go for NT46-392. But you have make sure it fits your monitor size.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Ray,What is your new display? I'm currently looking for a Sony SDM P234B 23" display.How's your screen performing with FS and PMDG?

Guest Buck Bolduc

I just purchased a Viewsonic 21" crt monitor. I looked at a few LCD monitors, I noticed a lot of ghosting when switching views.In all fairnes, the ones I looked at were not of the highest quality, I was told they did not keep them in stock because they did not sell many?I do however like my new Viewsonic very much. I no longer need to use the "zoom" screen, this at a higher res.I have both series of PMDG's 737NG's, like everyone else I awaite the 747.I did make another purchase for transatlantic flights, that being PSS's Concorde. I have to say they did an outstanding job with the multitude of panels. With this new monitor I can actually read the damn guages, we 70 year old guy's need "BIG" monitors.So with PMDG's 747, MD-11, and PSS's Concorde I will spend lots of time behind the yoke, if you will.Regards

Guest Ray CYYZ

>Ray,>>What is your new display? I'm currently looking for a Sony SDM>P234B 23" display.>>How's your screen performing with FS and PMDG?Funny enough, I looked at everything that was out there and went with the Apple 23", not any of the PC versions. It had simply put a far better image quality and ran flat out with no problems at 60 Hz. Be very careful here as it certainly appears to me that with these toys you get *exactly* what you pay for. I used Prince of Persia II as a reference to test with as it has lots of flash, lots of blacks, and lots of fps.It runs equally well on my 19" 4:3 Sony CPD-G420S CRT and this new LCD. I was very wary of ghosting (hence my choice of LCD). Apple unlike the PC world has been designed from the ground up for true colour and video work so you know they don't have frame rate issues just based on their designs. They also have a 30" which is a true thing of beauty, but there are no PC cards on the market that can drive this monster (I'd own it if there was).RayPS: Tom's Hardware very recently did a writeup on how these puppies work. Good reading material to know up front.