Sign in to follow this  

Just installed DirectX on WinXP-Pro and !!!WOW!!!

I have to say this DirectX has given me the biggest boost in performance since changing from Pentium233 to Pentium3-866. Not so noticeable in the scale but it's amazing the video is a lot smoother and don't think I lie if I claim that I got me 2-3FPS more at the least especially noticeable is improved smoothness! (No I do not work for Microsoft :-lol)I run WindowsXP-Pro on P4-866Mhz.I needed to install neither updates nor any service packs, just red the notes from microsoft: "On Windows XP, you will need to download the latest Service Pack, or install the corresponding hot fixes. Please see Knowledge Base Articles Q321178, Q307207, and Q318507, for more information. "Read these Q-NOTES and chances are it doesnot concern you.And any service packs are irrelevant to my system I do not use any programs that cause the possible WinXP errors!You need to download DirectX for Windows2000 if you have WindowsXP.Well can not guarantee anything but I installed it and ran FS2002 and I did indeed get a very nice boost in performance and smoothness. I did not have any problems, crushes or another illegal operations nor hang-ups or hiccups, everything works perfect!For example seeing from the passanger window on take-off I get fluid motion and 18+ FPS where before I get no more then 14 and less, and this is at low altitude smoother then before. Now we need to be objectional here Note I run P3 which is like the year of the comet.The lowest I get might be 6FPS (fairly smooth, flyable) at KORD with lots of traffic at least 20-30 aircraft and after a while into the game where they all wakeup and start takingOff and Landing. There are overlays at my KORD so actually traffic is double as both runways are used for Take-offs and landings. Hope you get the same boost if you choose to install it it really made my day! Good Luck and be carefull.I ran FS2002 with all options MAX except:FSTraffic MAX 20+ aircraft at the airport PAI and GlobalFleet AI AI-ArcraftMesh is at 50% and Visibility at 60milesLigting & Transform is off, reflections are off, shadows are offBi-linear filtering@1280x1024x32And sound is down to Basic acceleration through DXDIAG gives me big boost in performance.ASUS CUSL2Intell P3 866MHz384MR PC-133RAMGForce 2 256GTS 64MB DDR 23.12drivers2x20GB Quantum 7200 RPMSB LiveWindows XP ProThe point is: I recommend it.Andy

You're talking about the new release of Direct X? (Ah, never mind -- I read the post further down with the full details. I'm waiting for the service pack, as FS works just fine on my machine right now).

Guest DNelson

Huh???DirectX is an integral part of WinXP. You "installed" it the day you installed WinXP. You seem to imply that you were previously running FS2002 without any version of DirectX on your system. I don't believe that's possible. You may have unintentionally upgraded to version 8.1b when you installed the latest Win2000 DirectX update. However, I would NOT recommend that any XP users try that.Dan

Hmm.. I feel stupid I swear that the damn thing works better :-)well I just look through my dll and seems like you are right, all the files I downloaded date 01/05/2002 and can't seem to find nothing like that, well they have different dates and stuff but heck! I feel stupid now :-roll I would swear that it runs better even now again I say it, maybe it did unloaded (extracted soem damn file that changed something)Ok how can I check if it did or not?I use DXdiag and it says I have a lot of DLL this version:6.04.2600.0044 or 0000 also 5.01.2600.0000 and some otherFront page says DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)also it saysDXDiag 5.01.2600.0000 Uncode copyright yada yadaHeck I don't know it runs better :-)I mean it's gotta run better....I need help...Going out of my mind in 3...... 2......... 1......... OUTAndy

""You may have unintentionally upgraded to version 8.1b when you installed the latest Win2000 DirectX update. However, I would NOT recommend that any XP users try that."" <-- If this happened then I have no problems after doing so,,, and I still yap yada yada that i' works better... unless I am all crazy (do not reply :-) )Well that's what I did, but like Mike Kelley suggests maybe he is wright and nothing changed...??? just in my head or something.Yes it is imposible I ran without DirectX :-)Ah maybe I just stop being cheep and build myself new putter :-lolAndy

if you like this wow thing and you have the VIA chipset then there is new 4in1pack for Xp that will really make WOW ,I tries them last night and they really DO make you fly :)Anniette xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx