Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

FMS - Inserting Runway Fix

How do I insert a Final Approach Fix, say 10 miles along the Runway centerline. The manual says it can be done but doesn't give an example.Many thanksGlen Coyne

Glen

HiSeveral possibilities:1: On the arrival page, click on the appropriate rwy, then you can define a point", RWY EXT" along the runway extended centerline. Enter the desired distance and exec. Remember to close the "route discontinuity's". See below:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99926.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99927.jpg2 You can also insert a PBD waypoint in reference to the airport, navaid intsc etc.. The point below is entered as ENKB260/10. ENKB is the airport, 260 heading, and 10 is the distance:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/99928.jpg

Per,Many thanks for your help.I didn't notice the 'RWY EXT' option in the arrivals page. I have gone back through the manual but can't find any reference to 'RWY EXT' option.I'll give it a try on my next flight.RegardsGlen Coyne

Glen

Hello Glen, The reason why you did not see them is because it appears ONLY for RWYS, not ILS or other approaches...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Finally option (3) insert an "along route waypoint"(a) Line select the waypoint in question [this will make a copy of the waypoint name in the FMC scratch area]. You do this by pressing the left hand side key next to the waypoint you want.(:( Now add /-xx.x where xx.x is the "displacement" distance in miles (note the minus sign). The decimal part is optional.© Press again the line select key next to the original waypoint. This will insert your new waypoint above it.In Per's example :(a) Click LSK 2 [the buffer content will be RW07](:( Enter /-10.0 [the buffer should read RW07/-10.0]© Press again LSK 2(d) Bingo you have just inserted a waypoint called RW0701 on track 080 to RW07 ten miles away, i.e. your 10 miles rwy extension.In effect it is like creating a place bearing distance waypoint (PBD), where, however, the "bearing" part is missing and therefore assumed equal to the track that leads to the waypoint in question. This technique is only valid for active flightplan waypoints.This can be useful in a number of occasions. E.g. you want to make a waypoint (called FOO) an "overfly" one. Just follow the above procedure and enter /-0.1 This will generate FOO01 almost collocated with FOO (to be precise displaced by 0.1 miles on track to FOO)...By virtue of the way LNAV sequences waypoints the aircraft will not be permitted to turn anticipate (start turning) until FOO01 is "sequenced" i.e. almost on top of FOO (hence FOO became virtually an overfly type waypoint). There are other useful examples like using the FMC for non-precision approaches creating manually SIDs/STARs etc.Regards,Vangelis===================================== E. M. Vaos Precision Manuals Development Group www.precisionmanuals.com=====================================

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

Thanks Vangelis for the good "in-depth" explanation of the along track waypoints. A small addition to what's mentioned; these ATW's are also very useful (among other options) to meet any ATC restrictions, speed, altitude commands, along the route where there are no matching waypoints. Enter them exactly as instructed by ATC, and let the FMC do the hard work:-) Ex: "PMDG 123, continue approach above 6000 until 15 from XYZ vor". Make the along track waypoint as Vangelis explained as XYZ/-15 (here 15nm before XYZ vor) at LSKxL, and enter the the altitude restr. at LSKxR as 6000A.

Guest obriets

Finally! This is the golden tip I have been looking for for days! I wish PMDG could do a more detailed approach tutorial because the approach problem posted here has been baffling me and I must have looked through the manuals and tutorial two dozen times for this. searching around on this site, I've noticed I was definitely not the only one who was confused about setting up new approaches following ATC redirection to an alternate rwy.

LEADS ME TO THE NEXT QUESTIONThis one I fortunately knew, but I

Mr/Mrs nameless?(obriets) -All the basics about what's have been discussed in this thread are described in the FMC manual:Place Bearing Distance waypoints (PBDs)Bearing / Bearing waypoints (BBs)Along Track waypoints (ATWs)Latitude Longitude Waypoints (LLWs)Helmut -The format for using this for a lat/long at lets say: N 63 10.2 E 008 10.1 will be N63102E008101. So you insert into the scratchpad a 13-digits continious row without slashs.

Hello, Per,THANK YOU for REPLYIt took me a while, as I was not sire how tu "CUT" the real value to your mentioned format.Talking about N 34*29`58.45`` W 123* 17`37.45 as the "REAL VALUE", I just CUT the last three entries (...8.45 for NORTH and ...7.45 for WEST), and FINALLY it worked entering: N45295W123173 Round and ROUND UP is not a good Idea, as I learned to know, otherwhise I get the message "Not in Database"Thank you SirHelmut