Sign in to follow this  
Guest JeanLuc_

FSGateway latest news

Hi, I was shopping for my next payware add-on and found this news at FSGateway.com: Reality XP is doing a Oshkosh Special at $24.95 for their GPS and radio stack. They have had great reviews and it looks to be a very good product any flight simmer must have. However, I

Are you referring to discussions on FSGateway or on AVSIM forums?Have you read the reviews here on AVSIM at all? I did not see anything about FS FlightMax being unstable in the latest version, but I might have missed something.The reviews can be found here: RealityXP http://www.avsim.com/pages/0702/realityxp/realityxp.htmFSFlightMaxhttp://www.avsim.com/pages/0602/flightmax/...htmax_addon.htmAlso, I'd like to note that although there is some overlap, specifically in the 'navigation/GPS' area, these are basically two different kind of systems, with FSFlightMax definitely providing more functinality than can be found in the default FS2002. The XP stack is a radio/navigation stack, FlightMax is a radar system that includes a navigational system as well.Best regards, :-outta Francois :-wave[table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0][tr][td valign=bottom" align="center]"At home in the wild"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:avsim.com/alaska/alaska_051.htm|Don's Alaskan Bush Charters]"Beavers Lead the Way"[/td][td valign=bottom" align="center][link:www.avsim.com/vfr_center/mainpages/vfr_flights_main_page.htm]VFR Flight Center]"Looking Good Outside"[/td][/tr][tr][td valign=top" align="center]http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif[/td][td valign="top" align="left" colspan=2]http://www.fssupport.com/images/moose2.gif[/td][tr][/table]________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online![/bemail: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

I think the writer is refering to past posts on the avsim forum which reported problems with Flightmax. I haven't had any huge problems with the latest version of flightmax unlike the earlier versions other than occasional crashes and wierd small stuff-but when the review was written I believe there were still quite a few troubles.Of course a review is just an opinion-I find both of the products to be valuable additions to fs and wouldn't do without either of them.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

I'd like to echo Geoff's comments.I bought FSFlightMax first, due mostly to the reviews here and at Flightsim.com. Most people I've read postings from do seem to use it for its weather radar display function but it has other features as well such as lightning-strike tracking, TCAS (tracking of other aircraft), and navigational info. The bit about the extra $50 refers to the fact that FSFlightMax can also be used to display sectional charts, centered on your aircraft position. You do have to buy the sectional charts separately. You can buy a single, current Sectional (or WAC, high-alt IFR, low-alt IFR, ONC, etc.) chart for $7 or you can buy a "sim pack" of 50 slightly-out-of-date charts for $50. So that cost is ONLY if you want to display sectionals. I wanted that feature very much (in fact it's one of the main reasons I wanted FSFlightMax).As for stability, I have had ZERO issues with the current version of the software. There was originally a problem wherein, on my system, the charts weren't displaying correctly. Support from the developer was EXCEPTIONAL. He did not dismiss the problem; he listened to my descriptions of the problem. Even though it was something that he could not reproduce and that affected a tiny number of users, he worked on the problem and produced a revised version that works fine. I really appreciated the personal touch and the fine support the FSFlightMax folks provided.If your only concern about that product is stability, I would say you have no worries. Do read the reviews of both products. I use both of them every time I fly. They both have different areas of functionality and both add immensely to my flight simming experience.--Tony

Hi Francois,Thank you for this update. Yes I was refering to Avsim's forums. I've done a search on the forums for "Flightmax" and "reality xp" I was quite impressed from both add-on at first. However, what people were saying about flight max, as negative as positive, except your steady good comments about it, sounded a little bit different than your review. You are right that avsim review does not mention any bug or instability problem. Does this mean that you have had better luck than me? I've not experienced any problem at all with the reality xp demo, and it was awarded 4 stars by avsim. I'm trying to take your review rankings as a factor for my decision, and since I could not buy both this month, I'm wondering if the demo version of reality xp is better than the released product?I don't understand what are the navigation/GPS of Flight Max? I admit I'm lost now...Any user of both could shed some light?Thanks!

Hi Mike,first of all, it was not MY review. Aidan Williams did that one and he tested FlightMax very extensively for a long time. The instability was in the very first released and only with early operating systems I believe. That was quickly addressed.I was one of the early owners of the system and hence had some additional time to use it. It has not given me any trouble, not on Windows ME and not on Windows 98. The difference between XP and FSMax is:XP is a navigation system. Period. (And pretty good at that ;-) )Flightmax is a radar system, including a navigation system. So basically more extensive. Flightmax will soon be intgerated with FSMeteo to perform even better in the weather radar part, but it is already impressive.As for the AVSIM stars. We have a rating system that is mandatory for all reviewers to use and it is meant to guarantee objectiveness as much as possible. That way the readers can really use the starts as a guide to usefulness and value of the systems/pgograms reviewed.The exceptional versatility of the Flightmax finally gave it the extra star and award.Hope this helps.Best regards,Francois________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Perhaps describing the real world attributes will explain more clearly.Reality xp is a real world gps, radio stack, and audio com.Flightmax is a multifunction display.A multifunction display is fed information from other instruments where-it is in essence a small computer and screen. Without information it will not show anything.Therefore-in reality-you would have to have the "reality xp" gps (the apollo gps) to feed the aircraft's position, groundspeed etc. to the multifunction (flightmax). You would also have to have a radar if you wanted the radar info, a stormscope for the stormscope info etc. The beauty of the multifunction display is that you can see all of this info on one screen-and in the case of navigation can even have the gps information plotted over real charts etc.Since this is a simulator Flight Max does this all even without having the required equipment on board (stormscope,radar,etc.)-except to see charts you will have to invest money in buying them. The best deal now is about $50 for a good number of charts available at aeroplanner.com. This isn't too different from the real world except it's a lot cheaper-if I recall when I researched the mx20 ( a multifunction display made by ups)-just having the capability of dispaying approach plates was a couple thousand dollars.So the Reality xp are real avionics(so good that apollo the manufacturer allowed their name to be used-and uses it for training customers)-the Flightmax is techinically a computer and screen to display information from avionics such as the Reality xp.Again-both great products-and they compliment each other beautifully.In the real world-the Flightmax is made by avidyne. Also in the real world-other multifunction displays are made by ups, bendex king, and a few others. I find using the Flightmax as the multi display combined with the reality xp gives me the "dream" stack I would put in my real plane if I had the $25,000 it would cost to do so!http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Hi Geofa!I was glad to read your comments since you seem to have both products. I finally decided to go with reality xp first and wanted to share my experience.First of all, this is the best add-on I've ever bought for flight simulator. I'm simply hooked up! I could not have really imagine how much, such a simple piece of software, a GPS and radios, could in fact raise the flying experience to this level of realism. I really feel like I'm actually tuning radios and handling the real units. The graphics are great (I like the look and feel of the LED display), and the GPS is simply astonishing. A lot of features I can tweak and try, and now I'm proud to know what a real world GPS is. I would for sure feel comfortable flying an aircraft for real with the Apollo unit!You guys at reality xp have done a magnificent job, and I'm glad to give my money to companies that bring quality products like this. I've several aircrafts add-ons, but it somewhat feel almost like being the same. Yours is a totally different kind I've never experienced before!I will take my decision to buy or not Flightmax next month. I'll keep you posted!In the meantime, I don't know if it has been said but the reality xp units are offered with a special discount for Oshkosh, at $24.95!!!MikeD

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Mike!I for sure like very much the Fligth Line Avionics too! this has been the most real experience I have had with my simulated flights. Egbert recently posted that there are no other match to the reality xp GPS and IMHO, the recent releases of aircrafts with GPS included in standard fall short to provide anything really exciting in this area. They are fore sure cheap and included in standard, but you got what you pay for!Welcome to the community Mike!