Sign in to follow this  
Guest 160732

Timothy M. Tutorial

Guest 160732

I am redoing this very fine tutorial, and have a few questions. It says:At 18000 the altimeter turns yellow, not by me ?EFIS Minimums: clicking on knobcenter sets 200 feet, by me it only sets 100 feet ? I hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I have all updates and everything works fine. Are there any news about the new tutorial from Thimothy M.Ole

Guest JDavidson

Certainly regarding the altimeter it will turn yellow at the Transition Altitude, by default 18000', prompting you to set it to standard (29.92) by clicking on the centre. You can change the Transition Altitude in the FMC, on the PERF page I think, as appropriate to the location you are flying in.All the best,James

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Ole, I think you are reading the tutorial too literally. It is not the altitude tape, that is the right hand tape on the PFD, that turns yellow. What turns yellow is the indication of your barometric reference that turns yellow and gets a yellow box around it indicating your you have passed through the TA.Hope this helps,BoazEKCH

Guest 160732

Hi Boas.Thanks for your kind answer. What you describe is what I remember happend once, but not now. When I saw the yellow box arround 29.92 in Thimothys Tutorial I realized that I had not seen that for some time. The reading reacts when I press the knob, but I get no yellow box to worn me. I wonder what have happend, I think it started with the new panels When I got 800/900 ?OlePS I have just taken a short trip from EKCH to FL220 to be sure, and no yellow box

Guest PittsburghII

Hi Ole, I could imagine a couple of scenarios where you would not see the box. First of all, I am not sure the yellow box around the barometric reference will stay illuminated forever. Maybe Randy, Mats or one of the pros of their caliber can answer that. Secondly, I am not sure what happens if you start FS without setting any weather (that is, no add-ons that can modify the pressure, nor using FS's own Real Weather feature) and then climb through TA. In this case I am not sure if there is any difference in the barometric reference setting. Could it be an FSUIPC issue?Hope this helps. Holler if you need additional info (that I can give)BoazEKCHPS. I know where EKCH is, but where is FL220 *:-*

Guest 160732

Hi Boas.I started from Kastrup, 737/700 with 'real world wether'and climbed to 22000 feet, to see if anything would happen at 18000, but no yellow box. Everything else is working ok so something must be wrong. Ole

Guest frankathl

Ole,Have you set TA in the FMC?BR,Frank

Guest 160732

Hi Frank.Maybe it's that. I am trying to learn the FMC, I have never used it yet, and I am quite sure that I had the yellow box before the 800/900 updates and the new panels. I will try to set TA in FMC and see what happens.Ole

Guest frankathl

Hi Ole,Entry for TA is on the PERFormance INITialization page, at LSK 4R.Strange, though, that you received no alert, as I think the FMC defaults to 18,000 ft.BR,Frank