Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliff

Can I use the Garmin GPS nav aid?

Guest cliff

I've been navigating with FS Nav but would like to be able to use the Garmin nav aid. If that's possible how can it be accessed?Cliff

Cliff - It's possible. Do a search on this forum for posts on how to do it. But first please consider to learn how to navigate with the FMS. It will add so much for the NG.Hope it helps,

Guest cliff

Mats there's no doubt that you're correct. My problem is the limited time I have available to learn how to use the FMS. I've tried but I haven't found it easy to get to grips with.Consequently in order to still enjoy flying these birds I've resorted to FS Nav.May I ask which, in your opinion, are the simplest tutorials for me to have a go at the FMS again?Cliff

Guest frankathl

Hi Cliff,I can give you a hand with learning the basics of the FMS, if you'd like? If interested, send me a message with an email address, indicating a route you want to fly(for example, Madrid-Rome).BR,Frank

Cliff,I don't believe the Garmin is integrated with any of the NG systems such as the autopilot. So the flightplan and other GPS information will be a visual aid only.

Cliff,Granted, the FMS takes some time to learn. But it's not that difficult once you get the hang of it. I would look to go with Fred Clausen's tutorial first and then step up a notch with Tim Metzinger's tutorial. Both these tutorials need you to have the manuals handy though. There are no shortcuts with this bird unfortunately. Or maybe that is fortunate? ;-)As George was mentioning neither FSNav or the default GPS will drive the A/P as it is produced in-house by PMDG to match the behaviour of the real thing.Hope it helps,

Guest cliff

Thanks Mat.I'm grateful for the advice.Cliff