Sign in to follow this  
Guest Buck Bolduc

NVIDIA 6800 GT-256

Guest Buck Bolduc

I did a search on it and came up with everything but.Just wondering if anyone is using this video card yet? I realise it's pretty new.Regards

Guest njflyer

Buck,I purchased one 2 weeks ago, upgraded from a GEFORCE 4600 and I can tell you the improvement in FPS is tremendous. I also have hooked up 2 monitors and span my VC accross. It is incredible, I am getting 2 20" Flat panels from Dell (the wide ones) so there will be little space between the 2 monitors. Email me if you need more details.Bruno

Guest Ray CYYZ

I'd hold off buying *any* video card until they start shipping with 2 Dual-Link DVI ports (note that dual link does not equal dual links so you need to be very careful in reading the specs).Dual-Link is required to drive any flat panel over 1920x1200 resolution which will be the norm during the life of the card unless you happen to plan on replacing the card again next year.Currently, these cards only seem to be available in the world of Apple machines. If you find one that is *really* 2x Dual-Link, let me know.As far as buying multiple panels, it makes more sense to buy a single 30" panel and drive it properly then two smaller panels (it also runs a lot faster since you are driving only a single display). It also goes without saying that a 30" 16:9 wide display simply leaves one gasping for breath when you see it beside a 20" 4:3 display.Ray

Guest LLgaz

I did the same. My Ti4600 stopped working and since I had already saved up to $500 toward the purchase of a new vid card, I purchased the 6800GT 256. I have not seen a massive improvement in FPS. But what I have seen is that I can run at 8x ansio and 4x AA with better FPS than when I had the Ti4600. I tried putting the Ansio and AA back to 2X each (which I had in the Ti4600) and again, like I said, the improvement in FPS, although there, wasn't that great. So for me, the advantage is the ability to run at the the higher AA and Ansio in 1280x960x32 without the loss in FPS that I got with the Ti4600.The GT card does not have dualDVI yet.... I know that you can get it in the 6800U though. But if you don't need such a feature, the GT is the better buy because its speed is close to the Ultra but you save a lot on price.My specs:AMD 2200+ (1.8GHz), SoundBlaster Live! Value, 120Gig Western Digital HD - partitioned like crazy :) , 6800GT-256MB, and 1.5GB PC2700 RAM.I don't use AI and I tend to stay away from Addon-sceneries. However, I do turn Autogen and Scenery complexity to maximum and get roughly 20-24FPS at JFK and 30FPS (locked at 30) in cruise, and close to 30FPS in clouds even with AA turned up.Edit: I got the card for $395 with FarCry bundled and about $5 shipping from www.newegg.com which is where I buy most of my computer parts. The brand is eVga.

Guys,You do know that the SLI boards are out v shortly!!! These motherboards allow you to have TWO top graphics cards onboard using the PCI express format, and various options are available to you on how to control the graphics cards functionality. Check out this very informative link:http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2258Obviously 2 x Geforce 6800Ultras on an SLI board is gonna kick some serious fps butt... even in FS2004 will all the addons!:) cant wait.... 747-400 and SLI for my birthday in March! :)Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest Buck Bolduc

>Buck,>I purchased one 2 weeks ago, upgraded from a GEFORCE 4600 and>I can tell you the improvement in FPS is tremendous. I also>have hooked up 2 monitors and span my VC accross. It is>incredible, I am getting 2 20" Flat panels from Dell (the wide>ones) so there will be little space between the 2 monitors.>Email me if you need more details.>BrunoBruno.I went ahead and purchased the MSI 6800 GT 256.I got all the the sliders just about maxed out.Set ano to max and AA to 8x or 16x (forget), frames are locked at 52, it holds it very well.I dont see the FPS go below 44 or thereabouts, under any cercumstanses.The aircraft look real, TV like, no jaggies at all.I think what surprissed me most was how quiet this card is.I have an A64-3400 and it's allmost completly silent with the Antec True Power 430 watt PSU, this vid card to my surprise dont make it any louder.I had to turn Mip Maps down to 2 to stop the shimmering, no big deal there.I'm satisfied with this setup now. PMDG's and PSS Concord look real nice now.Regards

Guest CornHusker1215

Just so you know, FS2004 won't take advantage of the SLI boards. FS10 should though.