Sign in to follow this  
mnmon

payware quality

I started a thread yesterday about a general complaint concerning the quality (or lack thereof) of many addon aircraft http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.phpaz=show...&topic_id=15951 I noted one exception. I just wanted to say here that the one exception is PMDG. I have yet to acquire an addon with the level of quality of the 737 series, or the level of honest support of PMDG. In fact, I now measure any addon aircraft against the PMDG standard. My frustration is that they all so far have come up short. Keep up the good work; you've set the platinum standard for flight sim in my book. Mike Monce

Guest tango_d

Right behind you on that Mike.Love it !!Eddy

Mike, I could not agree with you more :-) PMDG's work is just great. When they won the AVSIM Bravo Zulu award at the conference this fall, everyone there commented that they deserved it.PMDG keep setting that bar higher and higher!!!!!!!Bob

Guest nattydread

I also agree. By far the biggest reason why I bought FS2004, was because PMDG was making add ons for it. Im a product of their 777 add on for FLYII and dreaded coming over to MSFS. I stopped doing genral aviation/commerical flightsims for about 3 years because it.I went to PMDG's site one day on a whim and saw they building for FS2004 and I told myself, "It's time!" Now if only the MSFS dev team would listen to the needs of PMDG to better the sim and their add-on needs for furture releases. The PMDG models are only as good as the limits of the MSFS code.If you ask me PMDG needs to get its own version of MSFS. Make a MSFS:Profesional Edition that has additional and improved code, fidelity and physics so that PMDG(and to be fair, other 3rd party add-ons) can make even better add-on models.Shoot call it MSFS2006:PMDG Professional Edition if they want, a little less fair to teh otehr add-ons, but hey PMDG deserves it.

Ooohh that would be good. Is Rob listening? ;-) I followed along your path also. When PMDG switched to MSFS I also switched from FLY. Having a new computer that could handle MSFS helped to make the decision easier also. (which is what makes me mad when a develper blames my system of 3.2 G, 264 MB GeForce, and 768 MB of RAM; I mean I bought the system entirely for flight simming). Mike

Guest nattydread

I still came close not buying FS2004...I held out aslong as I could but PMDG kept calling my name. I was really upset to hear that MSFS dummy-downed there flight physics code and that add-ons would be forced to build there models off of the same constraints(I still firmly believe FLYII had a much better flight model). I figured, even with a less than desirable in game flight model in FS2004, that PMDG would build unsurpassed add-ons. I still think about the FLYII 777, I miss it alot.

>I started a thread yesterday about a general complaint>concerning the quality (or lack thereof) of many addonI read your complaint and (as I wrote over there) unless you share with us the name of this product so we can see for ourselves whether you have a point (or possibly not) this discussion is pointless. Unless of course the whole thing is imaginary and it only serves to whip up some payware bashing.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

This is one opinion, yours, and I am sure that of many others too, but I would humbly urge you to avoid the "PMDG" claustrophobia syndrom, it is of good taste obviously to congratulate PMDG for the splendid work they do and the outstanding products they deliver, but concurrently, it is a matter of fairness to accept that you may not know well all products available on the market today.I could name at least three very complex add-ons that would easily rank to the same level of quality (including support) as PMDG's, but this would be out of place on this forum. We must bear in mind that this sort of comparisons are interesting as a poll, but should not be construed as hard cast judgements, merely opinions. Everything starts with the kind of aircraft you like to fly, if the 737 NG is your plane then obviously PMDG comes at the top of the list by far.Yes PMDG is excellent and deserve the recognition they received, and so are a number of other payware developers that - may be - chose to model an airplane you have no personal interest in!Happy landings!

Guest Andrea

Mike,I agree that PMDG forum and assistance are outstanding but take into accont some other examples of very well done products with very good and prompt assistance on the web:- My Traffic- Ultimate Traffic 2004- Peter Dowson FSUIPC (he is the most gentleman in the web)- Phoenix Software- PAI forums- etc.Andreahttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

Guest Buck Bolduc

I have both releases of PMDG's 737 series, they are excellent!Also have RFP's 747-200, this is a different beast entirly, but very well done nevertheless.I just purchased PSS's Concorde, nice aircraft, very well done. The panel work is something to behold, IMHO.When PMDG releases it's 747-400 I will purchase it, have a lot of faith in Capt. Randazzo & Co.The captain stated that the development community was a small one, everyone does the best they can, sometimes support and upgrades are as important as the original release.I have a habit of not knocking something unless I can do better myself.Regards

Guest Buck Bolduc

>I have both releases of PMDG's 737 series, they are>excellent!>>Also have RFP's 747-200, this is a different beast entirly,>but very well done nevertheless.>>I just purchased PSS's Concorde, nice aircraft, very well>done. The panel work is something to behold, IMHO.>>When PMDG releases it's 747-400 I will purchase it, have a lot>of faith in Capt. Randazzo & Co.>>The captain stated that the development community was a small>one, everyone does the best they can, sometimes support and>upgrades are as important as the original release.>>I have a habit of not knocking something unless I can do>better myself, when it comes to freeware.Payware does require a level of programming beyond what I can do, did some Lattic C on the Amiga, seems like a million years ago.Anyway, I'm happy with the stuff I got so far. >>Regards>

>I read your complaint and (as I wrote over there) unless you>share with us the name of this product so we can see for>ourselves whether you have a point (or possibly not) this>discussion is pointless. Unless of course the whole thing is>imaginary and it only serves to whip up some payware bashing.> I really do not appreciate your insinuations. As I said in the other forum, giving specifics would only start a developer flame war. Imaginary?? Have you just looked at the side by side comparison of the CS and DF 727's on the other forum? Were all those people saying the CS 727 was flawed making things up?? This forum is not appropriate for my specifics, but I'm going to send you a private message with the details. Decide for yourself, but leave the personal attacks out of it. Mike

Guys,when talking about payware quality do not forget to mention Flight1's ATR, which plays in the same league as the PMDG Boeings.I bought all the PMDG Boeings and the ATR. They are all equally good and I'm flying them both right now, having a lot of fun.Alex

Guest BernBear

Mike,Hell bent on not buying any payware planes for FS9, I finally caved in for the PMDG 737-6/700 after reading all the rave reviews.I later bought a few other addon planes, both commercial and GA and you're right, nothing even comes close. I know it's not going to happen anytime soon, but I'd just love to see a PMDG quality single or twin turboprop (e.g. Meridian, TBM700C2, Pilatus-PC12, any King Air) or any decent Biz-Jet like anything from Bombardier including the Lears, Falcons, recent model Gulfstreams, maybe the Embraer Legacy. Of course not Express but fully featured models complete with fairly complete systems and accurately modeled FMC (the Cessna Jets of an othewise fine business aircraft addon maker that starts with an E are definitely lacking in that area).Until somebody comes up with something in that area that comes within reach of PMDG I will simnply stick with the PMDG Boeings, there are now two, with the BBJ hopefully three we can look forward to! Best RegardsMax (Bern, LSZB)http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/800driver.jpg

>but I'd just love to see a PMDG>quality single or twin turboprop (e.g. Meridian, TBM700C2,>Pilatus-PC12, any King Air) You say you bought some payware but nothing comes close...OK, I am not going to argue with you that PMDG737 is excellent but it all sounds to me like you have been buying wrong payware. Have you heard about Flight1 Meridian? Probably 9.95 (out of 10) on the scale of completeness and quality. Or Flight1's ATR? They are all in the league of PMDG737 in the opinion of many. If Flight1's Meridian still falls short for you then I am afraid the real Meridian won't satisfy you either.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2