Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

Memory

I was looking at some posts in the MSFS forum and noticed a couple of people having a similar problem as me. Lately it seems the NG is using alot of memory. I have had all the NG series since they were released and I dont remember this problem. I fly them quite often and it seems one day it just happened. I can fly pretty well on my desktop P4 3.0 radeon 9800 pro with 1.5gb of memory. My laptop P4 3.2 with 512mb it brings to its knees and I dont always think this was the case. It was definitely not as good as my desktop but I compinsated with sliders, but lately it seems to be to a point where I cant fly it (and I love flying at work) on the laptop and that just s ucks. Anyway I thought I would post the question here and see what anyone has to say. ThanksHappy Holidays

Guest Agamemnon

Hi AndrewInstead of screwing around with FS at work why don`t you just do what you are getting paid for which is DO YOUR JOB!!!I have nothing else to add.Troy

It does reqiure some memory but no more than a few other new add-ons and with my 1 gig of DDR ram it runs great. The ISSUE is all the other stauff you have going along with FS-PMDG ND. It's easy to see, simply hit CTRL ALT DEL and look at how much ram is being used by your system. Norton Antivirus will KILL FPS while flying...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest BoeingFreak

So true Randy! I upgraded to 1GIG and the difference was amazing! And after removing Norton.... well ;)

Guest Kultsound

Hi there,Re-iterating what I have said in other threads of similar type. Software , and that includes FS, is a dead thing and does not have a life of its own. Your computer is a dead thing and neither has a life of its own. If FS works fine on Sept 10, 2004 but "suddenly" goes down in performance over time(!) it can only mean 3 things;1) You have installed FS add-ons since Sept 10 that happen to conflict with the PMDG plane.2) You have installed other software on your PC that now runs in the background and interferes with your PMDG plane, including windows updates, background trojans from web-sites you should not look at while at work, at least if you live in the politically correct anglo-saxan world, or you have a gazillion other progs started up these days which you had not when you started work and tried to look like you actually perform for the money! ;)4) Your computer has aquired a critical physical fault in either memory or graphic card, via an act of God or nature, as in lighting, power surge etc, and that makes your FS slow (and should in general also show as other problems).You do not say however you run Windows XP or any other system. Win XP is so far the best of the systems to keep itself clean when it comes to memory, both RAM as well as swap-file, over time. Win 2000 is not as good...So, without knowing all the details about your system it is hard to guess what exactly could be the problem. It may be called a PC but every machine is slightly different....// Peter A. Mankowskihttp://www.mankowski.co.ukhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

To add to the other posts...We have seen many posts concerning performance of the NG and MSFS on laptops. But we have not discussed the basic premise that laptops are typically designed for a very different purpose than a typical desktop. Most laptop designs compromise performance for maximum portability (size and weight), long battery life (low power consumption) and cooler operations (lower heat loads cause less battery drain for cooling). Desktops designs are not constrained by these requirements. Complex programs like MSFS that utilize the majority of a machine

Well my Dell 8600 Celeron M 1.5 laptop runs FS just fine. The ONLY difference between this and my desktop is loading times and a few FPS since I have an ATI 9600 turbo pro 128 megs on the laptop and a GF 5700 Ultra on the desktop. I also have turned off the power saving features of my laptop, number one was the brightness, I was wondering why it looked dark while on battery ;-), less mobil power time but looks #### it is suppose to.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

My Laptop for the most part runs FS fine also F1 ATR PSS A330/340, A320 Dash 8 and other such complex run of as well but my problem is the NG which I like a whole lot more is what was the problem.And for those who comment about do your work and not fly I work full days in a Fire Department so while I am not out actually doing a very dangerous job I like to relax a little flying. Andrew

Guest Kultsound

Andrew,You have not specified what your graphics is. Is it a on-board thingy or an ATI circuit? This may help... Also, do you have any USB devices connected? Any network connection? Finally, what else runs in the background on your laptop? In the long run, a laptop, as stated in other replies on this thread, will in any case be slower than a desktop....//peter>My Laptop for the most part runs FS fine also F1 ATR PSS>A330/340, A320 Dash 8 and other such complex run of as well>but my problem is the NG which I like a whole lot more is what>was the problem.>>And for those who comment about do your work and not fly I>work full days in a Fire Department so while I am not out>actually doing a very dangerous job I like to relax a little>flying. >>Andrew // Peter A. Mankowskihttp://www.mankowski.co.ukhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg