Sign in to follow this  
Guest monkie

B737 Re-routes using RTE page

Guest monkie

HelloFirst I just wanted to say that I am amazed by the B737NG product. I recently have transitioned to the real B737-800 series aircraft and downloaded the product to help with my training. I can honestly say that I am in total amazement as to the detail and accuracy of the -800 right down to the noisy cockpit... my kudos to PMDG.My question is in regards to in-flight re-routes using the RTE page. As I remember it is possible to use the RTE page for large re-routes via airways. In training most of our re-routes were small and could be dealt with via the LEGS page. I set up a scenario for myself the other day where I was flying on a G route (G430 from GONIS to UCA then on to TANIA)... the FMS took the route fine. Once airborne I tried to do a reroute after UCA... I wanted to reroute UCA then G437 to ZQA via the RTE page. The FMS kept telling me it was a INVALID ENTRY and the only way I could possibly do the reroute was to go via the LEGS page and delete the routing after UCA and then go intersection by intersection for the rest of the way. Is it a product limitaion not being able to select Airway routings once airborne or was I doing something wrong? I've tried to reroute in other areas using the RTE page but the same problem occurs. Once again, a great product and worth every penny.JC

In every rl training manual that I know of one cannot MODifiy their active route with the RTE page. This is done on the LEGS page to my knowledge. Can you point to a specific AOM ref where this is the case please? Even Boeing teaches this but it is *possible* that this could be wrong but I doubt this is the case at least in route.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest monkie

Unfortunately I don't have my FMS manual in front of me at this moment but I do know we used the RTE page to re-route in the simulator during training. If a re-route was to be done only by the LEGS page then with some of our routes that would mean about 2000 miles of entering every VOR and waypoint that defines the airways. I did talk with one of our 757 check airman and with they're FMS (which is very similar to the 737) they use the RTE page for long re-routes. There are a few instances where it will not work but that is beyond the scope of worrying about. After over 1000 hours of flying A320 aircraft I've learned that there are a few ways to make the "box" do what you want and a million ways it can keep you from doing just what you want. I will reference my manuals when I get back into base and will just try a few re-routes in the actual aircraft to get the defining answer.In the mean time I'm going back to enjoying one of the best add-on's I've come across for FS9.JC

If a re-route was to be done only by the LEGS page then with some of our routes that would mean about 2000 miles of entering every VOR and waypoint that defines the airways. Hello again JC, I thought a little about this and have come to some conclusions as one who has spent the last few years learning this stuff and here is why I believe this is impossible to achieve "in flight"1] The RTE page is defined by VIA and TO inputs which define the starting and ending points for a given segment of the route.2] Anytime one ADDS or TAKES AWAY from the active route one gets ROUTE DISCONTINUITIES.3] If one was on say J294 in flight there is only one place to know exactly where along this part of the airway one is-what wpt is the ACTive wpt etc, that is on the LEGS page. So, you certainly cannot correct a route discon from the RTE page which means that you would have to go to the legs page to MODify the route. How would one just input an airway enroute? How would he know where he was and what was the starting point? Say we are 25 NM from XXXX which happens to be the third wpt in a 20 wpt airway segment and right then we try to *re-route* another airway into the FMS. This cannot work. For it to work we would need a starting wpt, an ANCHOR POINT which would really be a DIR TO to the wpt which again is performed on the legs page only. Further, if ATC changes your route en-route you most likely would get a DIR TO or VECTORS. It is not unheard of for rl ATC to give a DIR TO over a thousand miles, not often but in fact does happen. CO RTE is inhibited *in flight*. If it was a case where your destination was changed then one could simply use ALTERNATE AIRPORT which brings up my next point- Now this is not modelled on the PMDG sim, this being ALTERNATE AIRPORTS that can be found on the rte page as a http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |