Sign in to follow this  
chiswick72

747-400 5th Engine

The story I related was told to me by my father. He in turn was told the story by a very close friend and an employee of Qantas who had been in their employ for years as a senior ground official in Brisbane at the time.Perhaps the airline wasn't Qantas - may have been one they were ground handlers for and the old fellow got his wires crossed. Will never know now - he is still alive (my father) but his memory is wallaby edward (roo ted).Andy b

Wow guys some good stories posted here!Looking into it a bit more, this might be a functionality addition to the PMDG -400 at some point ....? ;-)Ive just noticed that there is a "VMO SPARE ENGINE" overspeed EICAS warning message, but im sure this is one for the -400 "service update" way way way down the line !!!!Oh.. guys at PMDG...Im just drooling like homer when he says doooonutttsss.... but im just saying Caaaaaaaaaaaat Threeeeeeeeeeeeee !:-lolArmen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest Midnight LS1

>>I believe the only 744 capable of doing this is RR>equipped.>>John,>i was more talking about having the "replacement/spare engine">shipped "IN-SIDE" a B744F :-) Makes the wing more efficient>:-) by not having the "5th pod" hanging around :-)>>And by the way, no need to be specific about engines types ->know of an airline that ships quite frequently engines (those>coming from Derby, UK) via EGCC/EGPK to KSEA on either a "GE">or "RR" powered B747-4R7F and one B747-428F :-)>Why not carry pax AND an spare engine for an downed aircraft?Pax gets to place they want to, spare engine gets there for an downed aircraft, airline profits off pax and engine if the engine was for another airline ;)

Either it won't fit or the weight might exceed the cargo hold floor limit, or it would pose a contamination risk to adjacent cargo .(fuel, oil and other fluids)

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Midnight LS1

>Why not use the cargo bay?>>>PaulDo you think you can simply take an engine off the wing into the cargo bay? It won't fit in it. It would in the 747F.

Guest Vincent

I'm so curious what is the layout of the cockpit. Where would the 5th Eng throttle place?Vincent

Guest AJ

>I'm so curious what is the layout of the cockpit. Where would>the 5th Eng throttle place?>>VincentThe 5th engine is a spare. It is not operational, so there would certainly be no 5th throttle, and likely no other indications or difference in the cockpit. Afterall, the aircraft carrying it would only be doing so temporarily,a nd would later go back to its normal 4-engine configuration.Andrew

Guest AJ

Somewhere recently I saw something equally wierd looking. It was a video on the internet (can't recall where it came from), showing a Boeing flight test using a 747 with the #2 engine replaced by a GE-90 (the one used on the 777). In this case the engine was fully operational. I bet that put a little hitch in its giddyup!. Could you imagine a 744 powered by 4 GE-90s? That would be one speedy Queen. No doubt the engineers around here will quibble with the idea, but its still fun to think about.Andrew

Guest Midnight LS1

>Somewhere recently I saw something equally wierd looking. It>was a video on the internet (can't recall where it came from),>showing a Boeing flight test using a 747 with the #2 engine>replaced by a GE-90 (the one used on the 777). In this case>the engine was fully operational. I bet that put a little>hitch in its giddyup!. Could you imagine a 744 powered by 4>GE-90s? That would be one speedy Queen. No doubt the>engineers around here will quibble with the idea, but its>still fun to think about.>>AndrewYep I have that video. If you read about that test flight, the pilots had to do everything to drag the plane down because with just the GE90-115B at full power, it kept accelerating the 747 and they were near overspeed.air-1stflt-ge115-02-8.jpg

Guest Midnight LS1

>I'm so curious what is the layout of the cockpit. Where would>the 5th Eng throttle place?>>VincentIt's just a spare. Think as hanging a spare engine onto the wing then removing it at the airport it's destinated for.Bolt on, bolt off.Some pilots in the past have walked up to the 747 to do a preflight then went off complaining that they're not quailified to do spare engine flights and stuff. There's no additional type rating or certification required for an spare engine flight.Just paperwork showing a fuel burn increase and weight increase.

Guest Midnight LS1

>WOW.>>Thanks. Any way i could download it instead of stream it?>>>PaulEmail me at Z28Shark69@aol.com and I'll send an attachment.