Sign in to follow this  
Guest Woody22

Fly now.?... :)

Guest Woody22

I realize this may be one of the most asinine questions ever posted in this forum, given the inherent nature of the product, but, here goes...I oftentimes don't have a lot a time (particularly as a newbie) to go from a 'cold/dark cockpit' to actual takeoff.Is it at all possible to set-up the the A/C so that I'm ready for a T/O when I start up FS9?I suppose the best solution is to go thru the basic cockpit setup procedures and save that scenario within FS9.Just curious if and how anyone else may approach the same situation.Thanks much,Woody

Guest bigun

Woody,If you start with the engines running, and practice setting things up, it can be in the air very quickly. I use FSBuild for my flight plans and can have everything ready and flying within 5 minutes of starting FS.

This is how I fly all the time. Doing cold starts is cool at first but just takes too much time.Anyhow, just save a default plane (e.g., Cessna 172) the way it was when you got FS9. Engine already running, Avionics switch on!, and everything ready for flight. You can even resize the ATC window and move it, and change the frequencies on the radio too. They will save when you load any other plane. Make sure you save this flight and make it Default in the FS9 flights list.Now start up the default plane (Cessna) and wait for everything to load, then hit Alt on the keyboard and get the menu at the top so you can select a new plane. Select the PMDG or whatever add-on you want and it'll load running more or less ready to fly.In the PMDG you have to turn on the CAB/UTIL and IFE/PASS switches. Turn off the center tank fuel pumps if you aren't using them, Turn on the Smoking and Seatbelt lights, and set your exterior lights up like Position, Taxi, and Anti-Collision. That's all I have to do, so it should be the same for you as well.Then set up your panel and MCP the way you want it, tune the radios, set the transponder, TCAS, and program the FMC.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

In addition to the above:About the closest you can get is to start with the engines and all systems up an running on the runway (default FS9 startup). Load a saved flight plan into the FMC and then finish setting up the plane. Should take you less than five minutes from startup to V2.

Guest Juzzflyer

It really does not take long to start up from cold and dark if you have done it a few times. I find now that taxi takes longer than checklists from aircraft acceptance to the line. Thats including all my VA paperwork, weight and balance etc.Thats apart from seting up on line (VATSIM) which really does take a while, especially when you pre-file a Flight Plan etc.Perhaps the default MSFS B734 would be suited to you! :((sorry...couldn't help myself!)"...If it isn't a Boeing, I ain't going..."

>Perhaps the default MSFS B734 would be suited to you! :(>(sorry...couldn't help myself!)> The default Boeings are the biggest POS in the whole simulator. I just think cold starts are boring, and it has nothing to do with anyone's ability to follow a checklist.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Juzzflyer

I know Chris...my comment was tongue in cheek. Must have been the 5am start for work getting to me. Or there is a full moon on its way! lol and POS is an understatement for the ol' default Boeings!!!(The reason I like the cold starts is that when I go and fly (unfortunately not a B737) at the local airport, noone has the engine running for me, nor do I have a co-pilot that has completed the checklists for me!) On this point, that is why in simulation I fly for the most professional Australian VA around (ducks for cover!).Simulation is all about each to their own, thats the beauty and flexibility of our beloved hobby.Seasons greetings and best wishes.See you in the skies!

Guest Woody22

Thanks very much for the ideas guys, I know what I can do now just to get up and see how the thing handles vs the default models. I know, I know, I just need to expend the effort a few times of doing things the right way and it'll pay off in the end. As I said, as a newbie, it's hard hunting down the various switches and such.... and then there's the FMC...Oh well, I'll be RTFMing for awhile I'm sure - but it'll be fun to play with the shortcuts here for a bit first... ;-)Thanks again!Woody