Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankathl

Waypoint Discrepancy

Guest frankathl

If a waypoint in my flight plan IS in the FMC database, but NOT in FS2004, will I be able to fly the route using LNAV? For example, VORs BCN and PRA(Barcelona) are part of the latest AIRAC cycle(0412), but are not in FS2004(which has the decommissioned VOR QUV). I suspect that the NG has no need to reference the FS2004 navaids, since it already knows the Lat-Lon coordinates from its internal database. However, I am also aware that the FMC autotunes the nav beacons as it navigates the route, so am not sure what it might do for a non-existent VOR!(and what about the morse code sounds which are used for identification purposes?).Thanks,FrankPS Yes, I know there is a way of verifying the above, but I haven't got around to flying the route yet. :-)

Guest hlm65

Hi Frank,I suspect that the NG's FMC is absolutely independent on whichever (outdated) navigational database is in FS2004 (and I add: what a marvellous thing would it be if there were any chance to update FS2004 database as per AIRAC as for all the add-ons, ehehehe !).I checked that the Farmington VOR in NM is now called Rattlesnake, but FS2004 still has the old ident (while the FMC not, and it is flying correclt to the new VOR).So, I think you'll get along nicely with your updated flight plans and FMC, the only "unrealistic" thing will be if you manually tune the old VORs, you'll get them on your NAV display and you'll hear their "ghostly" Morse ident !

Guest frankathl

Thanks, Enrico, I figured as much! All the best,Frank

Hi Frank.As Enrico indicated, the FMC reads it's data from the airac files(and thus updated), and the NAV radios read the old datas in FS9, unless you have any updated add-on scenery or Afcad with the new vor stations. Any FMC flight plans will be fine(LNAV), but the VOR/DME approaches and dme readouts will be tricky with the old vor. However there is an easy and quick solution. Open up AFCAD and insert the new VOR stations at the correct positions and save, done in seconds. Then you will have correct NAV radios, correct DME readout, and correct VOR needle and course deviation indicator on the PFD and ND. These new navaids will then be usable for all FS aircraft, not only the NG.Here are the info for these two stations you can use in AFCAD(I don't know the range though):EL PRAT PRA DVOR/DME 114.30N 41 16.59E 02 04.54BARCELONA BCN DVOR/DME 116.70N 41 18.26E 02 06.29As for the autotune, this is not implemented, the real ones has it though.

Guest frankathl

Oh, great, Per!! Never thought of that. Hope I remember how to do this, as I am a novice where AFCAD is concerned(in other ways, too! :-)).As to the autotune, yeah, I was thinking of the navaid page in the FMC. I guess I didn't really believe the actual radios would be set to the currently active nav beacons.Many thanks,Frank

Hi Per>As for the autotune, this is not implemented, the real ones>has it though.Actually I think you are mistaking the NG with the Classic series. The 300-500 has autotune for NAV 1 and 2. There is however a autotune for ADIRU positioning verification. This function however is not accessible for the user other than for monitoring via the FMC. This function uses a different set of radios than the 1 and 2 ones.Hope it helps,

Of course you are right Mats, I wasn't precise enough here. Some day I'll stop reading these Classic documents and stuff about the air data inertial reference unit, confuses an old NG desktop pilot:-smile12