Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

Orange cockpit??

Any way of changing that odd orange night lighting for the nice blueish-gray daytime variant, but lit up? (700-series)Allen Lavigne

Guest Paul Heaney

That's not what he asked Vin.

>That's not what he asked Vin.So what did he ask?I understood his question same way as Vin.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

If you want a realistic aircraft with different panel lighting then you are saying you don't want a realistic aircraft. PMDG don't do that - they pride themselves on developing things that are as realistic as possible within the limitations imposed by the FS itself.I suggest that if the problem is difficulty seeing the panel in daylight or under normal incandescent room lighting try doing a night flight with the lights turned off. Makes a great difference. You can purchase for a small cost an individual 'book' light that will enable you to see anything you need on the table.Andy b

>I suggest that if the problem is difficulty seeing the panel>in daylight or under normal Not sure how would anyone succeed in simulating night flying during actual daylight hours. I find it impossible - I don't have a darkroom where I could isolate myself from stray sun rays.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

>So what did he ask?I asked: If there was "Any way of changing that odd orange night lighting for the nice blueish-gray daytime variant, but lit up? (700-series)"I was only asking. Is that rude, to ask?I just find the immediate shift from the, in my opinion, nice colors on the overhead VC, somewhat of a clash. Of course it is more like the real thing as it is, but I was asking if it were possible to modify to personal choice?Better still, is there not a dimmer knob? Must be one ion the real a/c?, maybe not?thanks Allen Lavigneand merry xmas

"Any way of changing that odd orange night lighting The only thing *odd* is that you call it *odd* since in fact it represents one of the varible lighting schemes found on the REAL AIRCRAFT. "I was only asking. Is that rude, to ask?" Certrainly not but you might think about how you ask it if you want some serious answers. Calling the night lighting *odd* is rude IMO. But since it is happy holidays everyone is entitled to their own opinines ;-) Now that we cleared that up, no there really is no way to change it UNLESS you are running the 600-700 without the 800-900 installed. But even then you would have to know how to access gauge files and then change every single bitmap for all moving parts on ALL forward panels. Get an idea, the HDG knob alone would require at least four changes! So yeah it's possible if one knows how to and has a lot of time on his hands.... DISCLAIMER- Modifying a gauge file is not something approved by PMDG, this will also void any support related to the product.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

And to back up my statements concerning the actual rl cockpit in what you call *odd* have a look at this real life shot and then tell me what you think Boeing should do about this color ;-)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/101413.jpg Now this is only one way that the real aircraft can have the cockpit lighting but nonetheless is accurate. Now maybe you are not aware but the 800-900 has an all new night lighting scheme that some like better than the full *flood* lamp on the 600-700. If you update you will have the newer lighting converted to your 600-700 aircraft too.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest knack

Hi,there seems to be a misunderstanding on this whole topic of what's "real" and what isn't.The picture posted by Randy is a case in point. I don't know whether it is a digital or analog (film) image but in either case it boils down to a question of color temperature.Since I don't want to get too technical, suffice to say that film or digital balanced for daylight will react with that particular color cast when presented with incandescent light (tungsten/filament lights).Our eyes adjust to variations in color temperature, light and dark areas and planes of sharpness in thousandths of a second so that we see things as balanced (both temperature-wise and contrast-wise) as well as an apparent constantly sharp image. Cameras cannot do that which is why professional photographers use a multitude of lights and reflectors when shooting plus there's that pesky depth-of-field issue (the apparent sharpness or not of all planes in a picture).If you check out airliners net there are some great examples of "balanced" v/s "unbalanced" night shots of flight decks. In a balanced image the colors of the actual deck are what we perceive as correct BUT in most cases the glass displays will either be too blue or "blown out" (overexposed). In the unbalanced images the displays appear correct but the rest of the deck is bathed in that orange glow.Hope I've shed some light :-hah on this issue.Cheers,Tony

Hi guys,Just my piece of constructive advice.....I think there are two points with the 2D night panel:1) There is a clear difference in lighting colour and effect between the dome light 3D cockpit and the 2D panel night lighting. There shouldnt be this difference. Although I dont fly 3D, I have admired the lovely look of the 3D cockpit with dome light on, basically it looks like the day cockpit lit up... very nice! If only the 2D night panel had the same colour and effect of the dome light 3D cockpit.2) Certain areas of the 2D night panel are out of focus and appear to have a colour saturated blur effect. If you want I cant provide A/B examples of the blur effect if necessary. This blur effect doesnt appear in the day cockpit, and hence the day panel looks sharp and crisp.If possible, please consider these points to the "737 wish list", which could involve a 737 patch late 2005 .... I hope!:) Merry Xmas AllArmen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

There will be no updates on the graphics for the 737.....Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Dear Randy and PMDG,Thats a real real shame, because a large number of customers have noticed this issue, and have posted many times about this.In fact I cant think of another issue on the 737 which has so many people commenting about its "quality".Oh well youre the boss...... all I can do is try ;(Armen - Always pushing the functionality.www.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest TrafficTraffic

Tony,You make excellent points. Now, having never seen a 737 flight deck at night with my own eyes, I can't speak to it. However, I have seen an A320 flight deck at night, and it wasn't amber like PSS' rendition. As you point out, lots of photos on airliners.net are not properly color balanced so it is hard to tell how useful they are. I know I have seen orange/amber A320 photos there that did not match my personal experience. I think too many folks treat airliners.net as "gospel" without realizing some of the finer points of photography.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)