Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

Orange cockpit??

Guest allblack

Allen,Bet you wished you never asked huh!I found some of the replies quite 'odd'.....Merry xmas to you too. CheersTim

Armen, Your arguments are reasonable but I would like to point out following:1. The decision not to "fix" 737 lights has been made (and announced) long time ago. Most likely you missed it.2. It is one thing to fix some feature like autopilot or panel logic but it takes hundreds of hours to redo graphics. It is completely different level of effort.3. It is reasonable at some point to stop work on an old product and move on (hopefully with lessons learnt) to something new (744 ?) Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Michael,Good points, fair enough, and case closed !!!:-beerchug Merry Xmas All :-beerchugArmen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest over and out

I agree.The poor man just asked about the orange color. He felt that it was "odd" but I'm sure he didn't mean to insult anyone."the only dumb question is the one never asked", my metal shop teacher used to say...:-hmmm

Even if the "finer points of photography" are correct, there is still the issue of variability in the calibration of monitor/flat panel color, brightness and contrast settings as-well-as the different lighting conditions surrounding the display device. Not to mention the variability in video card capabilities, driver capabilities, driver settings and the potential effects of different versions of DirectX (anyone notice the subtle differences between ATI and NVIDIA video card color calibration?). IMHO the only facts that can be counted on when discussing this issue is that the NG will most likely look subtly to significantly different depending on system configuration and monitor/flat panel calibration. ;-)In summary, IMHO this is entirely a subjective discussion which is complicated by the variability of ones expectation (and how it was formed) of what "Realistic" lighting truly is. If you haven

Another such highly subjective topic are runway lights. People can argue to death what constitute realistic airport/runway lights.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest knack

Happy New Year to all!Hello George,I beg to differ with your assesment on the color issue concerning the "orange" flight deck.Variabilty of various monitors and graphics adapters certainly would play a role in how an image is displayed. However, a photograph balanced for 5500K(accepted daylight color temperature) will register any other light source which is lower in Kelvin values, as a light yellow going to a deep orange hue.Unless Boeing, Airbus etc., have actually filtered their panel lights for night vision purposes, what we see in images is either a correct or erroneous photographic rendition of a particular flight deck.I will try attaching 4 images (never tried this before here so I hope I will do it correctly...:-hmmm ) that may help illustrate what I'm trying to explain. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words :-hah My opinion? PMDG and PSS got their night flight decks all turned around. Have a look at the Ready for Pushback night flight deck and tell me it isn't what one would perceive and accept as correct.Like Michael said in his post this is not going to change on the 737 but in the interests of the upcoming 744 maybe this topic will serve some purpose for the PMDG development team.Cheers,Tony

Guest knack

One last image since I couldn't upload all of them in a single post :-)Cheers,Tony

Hi Tony,Nice pictures!While I don't disagree with your assessment of how a monitor will process color, this was not my point. I can elaborate beginning with the following question:

Since beginning this thread, I have come up with my own solution.Since I very much like PMNG's 737-700s I fly them during the day.And since I equally like CaptSims Legendary 707, and cannot fly two airplanes at the same time....I do my night flights with the 707 and days with the 737.End of story Allen Lavigne

Repainting the 2D night panels would not be a big deal, although Randy is right, when he says, that one had to repaint the frames of every single gauge.But using the proper tools will ease the task. So it took me only about 45 minutes to change the colours of the main panel, of the approach panel and of the zoom panel into a dark grey by using FS Panel Studio and Paint Shop Pro. Off course I did not paint the panels, but changed the hue and the saturation using the colorize tool of paint Shop Pro, which keeps all the original shading effects.So far so good. The real problem is the vc. I think there is no way to change the colour of the vc panel background, but since the gauges, which are used in the vc are the same, which are used in the 2D panels, I have now got a spotted vc, i.e grey gauges on a purple/blue panel background. I guess the only solution would be to use renamed copies of the gauges in original colour for the vc. Then you would have the colours you like for all of the 2D panels (no matter if day or night panel) and the original colours for the vc. But I

Hi,Don't know for sure what you are talking about, but some of the numbers in my PMDG -600/-700 series of the MCP are not legible in 2d at night. Zeros are solid blocks and so are 8's and 6's. If I get a response to this post, I will post more details. Gotta go back to work now.Dan Brookshire

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla

>>>Hi,>>Don't know for sure what you are talking about, but some of>the numbers in my PMDG -600/-700 series of the MCP are not>legible in 2d at night. Zeros are solid blocks and so are 8's>and 6's. If I get a response to this post, I will post more>details. Gotta go back to work now.>>Dan Brookshire Hello Dan, They are in fact not like that at all, what the real problem is is your res at 800x600 or corrupted fonts. Res minimum 1024x768 will fix the MCP digits..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Hi,Thanks for your reply Randy, on second look, only the zero's and eight's are blocks or solid. I do have the resolution set at 1024x768, however, it may be that my graphics controller(yes, unforturnately I have to use onboard graphics)cannot process the numbers properly.Would like to explore the corrupted fonts suggestion a bit more though.Thanks again,Dan BrookshireDell Optiplex 170L512 MB RAM2.8 ghz cpu P4533 mhz busIntel 82865G Graphics Controller up to 96MB video memEDIT: Ok, read more on the Font issue. No big deal here. I know that 8 comes after 7 and before 9:) I can live with it. A better monitor and/or graphics card might help.

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla

Just a thought, are you sure you have selected 1024x768x32? I've had issues with 1024x768x16. Also what are your other video settings in FS?If your using 1024x768x32, try a higher resolution and see if that changes things.Your video controller should handle the fonts correctly, although your frame rate performance is probably not up to some of the other video cards.