Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliff

Should the Autopilot altitude facility sometimes cancel...

Guest cliff

With the Autopilot handling speed, heading and altitude there is no problem flying "hands off".However on several occasions I've noticed that the altitude facility disengages and I have to reset it again.Is this a bug or is it normal or am I perhaps doing something that could trigger the disconnection?Cliff

>With the Autopilot handling speed, heading and altitude there>is no problem flying "hands off".>>However on several occasions I've noticed that the altitude>facility disengages and I have to reset it again.>>Is this a bug or is it normal or am I perhaps doing something>that could trigger the disconnection?>>Cliff If you touch the controls (i.e. Yoke or Joystick) or have force feed back enabled with the AFDS in CMD it will revert to CWS modes. All you need to do to confirm why is to look at the pilot's flight display to see what actual mode you are in when this occurs. If you have FFB disable it with this plane. If you are touching the controls with the A/P flying you are telling the AFDS that "you got the plane" so do not do it unless you want it ;-)Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest cliff

Hah! THAT'S it!Easy when you know the answer hmmm? I don't have Force Feed but I suspect I must have triggered the change by taking manual control of the stick.Thanks Randy............Regards,Cliff

Hey now the fun part Cliff ;-) try out the only true modelled Control Wheel Steering for a Boeing Jet. Say you are flying along at 10000' with ALT HOLD (Pitch mode) but want to go to 15000', in this situation you can set 15000' on the MCP and HOLD PRESSURE on the pitch axis of your controller to activate CWS P (You will see a yellow CWS P on the Pilot's Flight Display (PFD). Then just set the desire climb rate manually (move the control back) and LET GO! It will hold ANY pitch you have. SO say you pitch 12 degrees and let go, it stays there than captures the MCP alitude and reverts automatically back to ALT HOLD. You can also do this for you lateral (HEADING). Simply apply pressure for 2 seconds like you are turning. Anything over 5 degrees will HOLD untill you move it back to either 5 degrees or level. Pretty neat stuff and most guys do not know it exists or what it really is. It's a lot like Fly By Wire (Not as complex as Airbus' controls) but nonetheless mimics it *basics* for pitch and roll.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest cliff

Amazing. I'm gobsmacked Randy.Many, many moons ago my mother used to ask me "So whose a clever boy then?" (At least I like to think she might have asked me that!)Maybe she should be asking you instead............It worked just as you said it would. Do you know if that's how it works in the real aircraft too?Cliff

Guest tmetzinger

> You can also do this for you lateral (HEADING). Simply apply>pressure for 2 seconds like you are turning. Anything over 5>degrees will HOLD untill you move it back to either 5 degrees>or level. Pretty neat stuff and most guys do not know it>exists or what it really is. It's a lot like Fly By Wire (Not>as complex as Airbus' controls) but nonetheless mimics it>*basics* for pitch and roll.It's fabulous for safely going "heads down" in the cockpit while flying "manually". An example, depart an airport manually and decide you need to make a climbing 180 degree turn to the left. As you start this, ATC calls and tells you to change your squawk code or activate your transponder or be ready to copy a new clearance.Pushing the CWS button will hold your current pitch and bank attitude (assuming you've got more than 5 degrees of bank in) while you go heads down to deal with the issue. Be warned though that if you haven't engaged the autothrottles you may end up in an overspeed if you don't have enough climb angle and you start to clean up the airplane.

It works just like the real aircraft in CWS. Of course on the real aircraft it would take more than a slight bump or tug to go into CWS modes unlike here in FS, I'm sure you can figure out why. This is a flight simulator "first", first meaning the CWS is actually attached (works with) to the AFDS in all correct ways.... Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |