Sign in to follow this  
peppy197

only one engine (L) starts

I get af far as the ingnition, can nicely start L, but R never starts in the same sequencial (R-)way, have to doa CTRL-EHas this been resolved elsewhere?ALlen

Hello Allen, You tell me how you are trying to start the engines exactly step by step and then I can answer your question ;-)Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest nattydread

Make sure you have bleed air for the right engine. This means turning on APU and/or L Engine bleed air. Make sure the isolation valve is open or on auto so the engine gets air. Also make sure you have all the right side fuel pumps on and the fuel cut-off levers are up on teh throttle quadrant(lower-center). Also make sure your right electrical buses are powered. That engine only needs three things to work, if it has these 3 things it should work...unless you accidently discharged the engine fire extingishers :)

Guest tmetzinger

>Make sure you have bleed air for the right engine. This>means turning on APU and/or L Engine bleed air. Make sure the>isolation valve is open or on auto so the engine gets air. >Also make sure you have all the right side fuel pumps on and>the fuel cut-off levers are up on teh throttle>quadrant(lower-center). Also make sure your right electrical>buses are powered. That engine only needs three things to>work, if it has these 3 things it should work...unless you>accidently discharged the engine fire extingishers :)I've seen this, it's usually due to the bleed air isolation valve being in AUTO and the right engine bleed being turned ON.To start the engines:APU runningEngine bleeds off, APU bleed on.Put the Isolation switch in OPEN (auto should work too) and you should see both duct pressure needles rise.Start the right engine by clicking the ignition switch to GROUNDturn on the fuel lever for the right engine (on the throttle quadrant) around 18-20% N1Repeat the process for the left engine.With both engines running, put the Isolation switch in AUTO, turn on the engine bleeds and turn off the APU bleed.

Guest rellehenk

Do you mean 20-25% N2? ;)

Guest tmetzinger

>Do you mean 20-25% N2? ;)probably - I certainly meant N2, and didn't have the QRef handy.

Guest nattydread

We are supposed to open the fuel cut-off levers after N2 spools up? I didnt know that, I always assumed the fuel had to open to feed the start up.I also assumed that the dead R Engine didnt draw enough air with the isolation valve open to starve the start of the L Engine and that the operation of A/C was the biggest culprit in drawing the needed air from the L Engine start. Maybe certain ambient air conditions affects this. Maybe being at sea-level in the cool, dense winter air is making me soft. :)

>To start the engines:>>APU running>Engine bleeds off, APU bleed on.>Put the Isolation switch in OPEN (auto should work too) and>you should see both duct pressure needles rise.>Start the right engine by clicking the ignition switch to>GROUND>turn on the fuel lever for the right engine (on the throttle>quadrant) around 18-20% N1>Repeat the process for the left engine.>>With both engines running, put the Isolation switch in AUTO,>turn on the engine bleeds and turn off the APU bleed.>>Thanks TThat sequence worked, I think it must be the engine bleeds to off before starting, which I never did beforeAllen

Allen,If the ISOL valve switch is in AUTO, then yes, the position of the bleed switches will affect your ability to start the right engine.The ISOL switch is what should have your attention. You must have the ISOL valve to OPEN (either manually or in AUTO) to feed air from either APU or L ENG for the R ENG starter.Hope it helps,

It's not normal to switch the engine bleeds off. I don't know where Tim is getting his procedures from.It is normal to switch the packs off, however... and this will produce the same effect as switching the engine bleeds off. The pack switches are part of the AUTO logic and will enable the Isolation Valve to open when the Iso Valve switch is in AUTO.Also, if you want to feed both packs from the APU during transits, it is normal to put your Iso Valve to OPEN rather than mess around with engine bleed switches.Cheers.Ian.

Guest Lenny Zaman

i can confirm ian's statement.It IS normal procedure to OPEN the isolation valve, turn off the packs and make sure the engine bleeds are open. at least this is the procedure from a friend of mine who flies the ng here in europe