Sign in to follow this  
StevenHPerry

Actual Logo Light Usage?

I made a late (read: "delayed") connection through ORD on the 30th/31st and, while waiting in the queue for departure noticed that none of the dozens of planes that were taxiing had their tails illuminated!? No one at the gates had the logo illuminated either. I only saw one aircraft with the tail lit up, and it was an Asiana Cargo 747. It was night VMC with a light rain from a 5000'+ overcast, and maybe what would qualify as a mist but visibility was still >10SM. Can anyone fill me in on why none of the domestic carriers were using the logo lights? Perhaps everyone was ashamed of their on-time performance that night (I was delayed 5 hours)?Steve Perry

Guest ahmedem

I would guess that since ORD is a pretty well lit airport none of the pilots felt it necessary to use the logo lights since it was easy to distinguish the airline from the ambient light.If that was a darker airport then maybe you would have seen more lit up. It is a little like car headlights since AFAIK its at pilot's discretion whether to use them or not.That's my guess.

I think it's more of a preference for most carriers. I don't see to many at KPHX when I'm watching from college (right across the street) either. I don't think it has anything to do with safety either. They probably save money on bulbs and maintenance by leaving them off :-lol

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Well, AA usually lets the tail lights burn out, so you'll rarely see those on.DPhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)