Sign in to follow this  
Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

737 800/900 TCAS

Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

Issue & question. After reviewing numerous posts and replys re: tcas, I did not see my particular problem. When flying with tcas on, I recieve aural alters and see the offending a/c on the EFIS nav display. However, when I go to spot view and pan, there are no a/c visible (esp visible @ night). Conversley, when fs9 atc alerts for nearby traffic, there are no indications from the tcas, and in spot view, I can see the traffic and identify the offending a/c if close enough. Is the issue fsuipc generating false traffic and not recognizing fs9 traffic, and visa-versa, or something else?ThanksJim

Hi Jim,I have never encountered any "False" traffic. Seeing traffic in spot view is dependent on your current visibility. In your situation, TCAS may be detecting aircraft beyond the current visibility. Do you have the traffic identification labels turned on? They are usually blue labels above the aircraft making the traffic easier to spot.

Guest jamesmcgrathhsd

No, I don't have the lables turned on as it is unrealistic. However, I will try that and see if I can spot the traffic shown on the tcas system. However, you didn't answer the 2nd part of my issue/question: If I can see the traffic altered by fs9 atc, why doesn't it show up on the tcas?ThanksJim

Depends where the traffic is. I don't remember what the specific limits are but I believe it is approx 3,000ft vertical and approx 40 miles horizontal. Also depends on what your EFIS range is. If the traffic is out of this range then it will not be displayed. If you do a search I believe you will find a post with the specific limits.

Traffic won't show up until 10 nm from your plane. Beyond that you won't have any labels and the aircraft will be so tiny they're often impossible to spot. At night you'll see them farther away with their strobes and nav lights, but even then it's probably only 20 nm. So if the TCAS shows a plane in the MAP or ND, don't bother really looking unless it's equal to or less than 10 nm out.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired