Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

to fly PMDG 737 decently

As you can see from below, my computer specs are kinda outdated now and i am not too happy with the performance of the PMDG 737 in VC as there is still alot of slowness and jerkyness, so what would you recommend to get the PMDG flying fluidly?

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

You'd need to get a new video card for one thing. Also a GB of RAM is recommended by everyone I see asking for hardware advice. I don't know anything about your AMD 2100+. I assume it's an XP processor.I know for a fact that even the top of the line computers will perform poorly if you run too much eye candy and add-ons. Depending on those factors, you'd probably do fine with another 512 of RAM and a newer video card. Also, it's important to shut off any background apps or services running in Windows when using FS9.My current system is a Pentium 4 - 1.8 GHz, GeForce Ti4600 128MB, and 1 GB of RDRAM. I can't run the VC except in cruise and it's not very good looking or smooth. That's with XP running bare bones and FS9 settings mostly on medium and no clouds. 3D clouds kill any system. The gauges in the VC won't render smoothly either no matter what. From what I know, only the RealAir Spitfire has smooth VC gauges, but how they did it is beyond me. Not to mention the NG is rather complex in what those gauges are doing.Perhaps someone with that CPU can provide more input as to what performance it's capable of even with a better video card and more RAM.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

>Also, it's>important to shut off any background apps or services running>in Windows when using FS9.This may be necessary on older systems. On my system (see my signature) I see no difference between having background services running or not.>3D clouds kill any system. I am certainly happy with 3D clouds and how my system handles them. I am yet to experience any significant slow-down due to 3D clouds. I have to try even more clouds and see what happens...However to the original poster - "smoothness" is very subjective. Even though I am pleased with my system and how FS9 runs on it I still don't get the same 'cinematographic' smoothness. Even though my fps counter may show 40 fps I still see a micro stutter that I don't see while watching 24 fps movies.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Clayton,I would agree with Chris, first get yourself a new video card, depending on what you want to spend the best thing going right now is either the Nvidia 6800 series or the ATI x800 series. I would also invest in 1 gig of good quality ram. This will help to get your textures loading at a better speed. In the long run you will need to upgrade the CPU as even with the previouse two items you will now see a bottle neck due to the CPU. I just got the 6800GT and I am now getting frames of 40-45 locked at 45 at night in the heavy storms scenario. The only thing is like Michael said I am still seeing the Micro Stutters. It is all give and take. I have just about all my eye candy on and I am happy with just a few micro stutters so my setup seems to be good for me(for now lol). :)

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

I am running the Sim on my ACER Laptop with an ATI 9700Pro 64MB.Traffic by Project AI at 100%. Some of the sliders medium, but full Autogen, full 3d clouds, all the nice bits an pieces.And find that after the 9.1 update i get about 20fps in 2d mode with PMDG and 15 fps in the VC (not much, I know).The processor is an AMD 2800+ XP mobile and it stepped down to about 569 Mhz while the Sim is running. So the CPU is not really doing a lot of things in this game, after all.If you can afford it get a new and powerfull graphics card as others suggested before. A lot of RAM is also helpful but not necessarily the reason for low framerates.

Guest msk172

>3D clouds kill any system. Are you sure you mean 3D clouds? I can run my system at 100% 3D clouds vs 0% 3D clouds and there is no real visual or performance difference. However, this is all in terms of "simple clouds" if I turn on "detailed clouds" (or whatever the other option is) then forget me getting more than 5 FPS hehe. Anyone have any good suggestions for graphics cards? Is the 9800XT still the best deal for the money, or should I just splurge and get a X800(XT) or a GeForce6800(GT)? Mike KaplanStudent Pilot C172 @KBED

Yeah, the 3D clouds are the detailed fluffy clouds. I know they kill my computer and most people say they put a strain on their system as well. The other clouds are 2D like they were in FS2002. Perhaps Michael's video card, being so new, is handling them better.As far as video cards go, it's up for debate each time. I say 6800GT, but that's based on the review at Tom's Hardware with AA and AF turned on. http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/2..._charts-10.html

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

hi,yea it looks like i need to upgrade my vid card, my system is antique now. They say the GForce 6800 Ultra is the fastest card in the world at the moment and close to $900 australian dollars if far beyond my means,but i will upgrade the whole computer not just bits and pieces.rgds

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Yeah, a few have said the gain with the Ultra isn't really significant, and that the GT is perfectly suited in the 6800 arena. Either way, they are very expensive. I just ordered a new system and went with the 6600GT. It has the faster DDR memory and should do fine for me. I was on a 300 USD budget after all the other stuff was priced.

- Chris

Guest TrafficTraffic

Wow, a student pilot at KBED! Training at EFA or ECAC? I trained at EFA and still rent there.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

Clayton,The Ultra is a waste of money, the GT is the same card except it does not have the 2 power molexes and it has slower 2.0ns ram vs. 1.6ns ram. I have my GT OC to the Ultra speeds very easily I don't even see a temp rise on the GPU. Last night I did a test with all sliders maxed out except water textures and the thunderstorm scenario at KSEA during the day and at night I was getting 18-45FPS 35FPS avg. I was running 1280x1024x32 8sXAA and 8XAF. Something I found yesterday is the fact that PCI Latency is set to 248 by default. If you change it to 32 your stutters will dissapear. When I was getting 18 FPS it seemed like it was still at around 25. I am more than happy with my GT I love it. Here is a link to where I found out about the Latency issue I suggest it for any body who is getting stutters. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=425&mode=full

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO