Sign in to follow this  
Guest donato.genovese

FMS

Guest donato.genovese

I tried to make an italian route (LIMF-LIRF) using the FMS.I putted a speed and FL constraint (TAQ 220/6000, GOLPO 180/4000 and MIKSO 170/2500) just as per ILS approch 16L chart instruction but just after the waypoint GOLPO the message "steep des path..." (or something like that) appear.Somebody can explain me why? I followed the whole ILS16L approch chart instruction.Thanks in advance.Donato Genovese

Guest Lenny Zaman

Donato,this could be normal.Normally pilots don't use VNAV on approach too often anyway.Meaning you'd just use FLCH or VS descent. Normally the 'steep des path' will show if the FMS anticipates that at that stage, it could prove difficult for the autoflight system to keep the aircraft on the profile. As you are probably aware of, the 737NG doesn't like to slow down and descend meanwhile... probably you will get a 'drag required' message when passing that section in VNAV mode.So, you don't have to worry about this message too much as it's just information. I most of the times, after getting this message, also get a 'DES PATH UNACHIEVABLE' message followed by a VNAV disconnect into CWS pitch. Greetings

STEEP DES AFTER GOLPO is the message, loosing 1500 feet in 3 nm could be a bit difficult :) Anyway you should be at or above 2500 feet at MIKSO (it's a minimum not a compulsory altitude), 2500 should be reached before the FAF (3.5 nm after MIKSO) to intercept the glide. Ciao, Luca