Sign in to follow this  
slugger

SID/Star Update Question

I've updated the AIRAC and SID/STAR/IAP files for my PMDG 737 800/900. Assuming I've done this correctly, I've noticed that some of the SIDs are missing (LAXX5 at KLAX for example). If I get a clearance to depart via LAXX5 SID, do I try to approximate the departure by programming it in the FMC?Not really sure how to proceed when the SID you're cleared for isn't in the FMC database.Thanks in advance.Bruce Beattie

Guest Lenny Zaman

normally if the sid is not in the database, pilots will try to 'mimic' it into the system through the LEGS page through the usage of (if avail) RNAV points.Now these are not always available, so the basic thing is, you need to have at least that 'end of sid' point(last point on the sid) in the system and 'handfly' the rest of the procedure as published on the SID chart or textual description(best go for the latter first then check if you're own visualisation corresponds to what you see on the graphical chart. the text is always completest way(sometimes not but that's exceptional))so what to do?well i suggest you simply try to program as many 'vital points' as you can but as long as you're not sure(f.e. if you have descriptions like 'climb on TRK 317 till 1800ft MSL turn right direct to OA NDB' you can not program this easily into the FMC(by means of 'in cockpit' handling)) you better handfly the procedure using the info you did get into the system as a reference(f.e. OA NDB is put in, so at least you have the map to give a visual reference as to what you're position related to OA NDB actually is) )Personally, even IF my procedure is in the FMC database i STILL check the charts, textual and graphical to see if the FMC has it right + i also fly it as i 'studied' it during preflight, so if f.e. you're on FD, LNAV and VNAV engaged. You're flying the procedure as you studied on the plate, and you see that your actions are not corresponding to the FD's suggestions, then you know there was a mistake in the database of the FMC... normally. Could also mean you're doign a crappy job flying the departure, but that's why we have a 2nd person in the cockpit eh... so if he doesn't complain... FMC database wrong...Cheers!

Guest stang

Hi there Bruce>I've updated the AIRAC and SID/STAR/IAP files for my PMDG 737>800/900. Assuming I've done this correctly, I've noticed that>some of the SIDs are missing (LAXX5 at KLAX for example). This is not uncommon as the DAFIF, from which the terminal procedures are derived, is rather selective in what it includes.>If I get a clearance to depart via LAXX5 SID, do I try to>approximate the departure by programming it in the FMC?One of these options ought to do it.1. Write the SIDs yourself. There is a tutorial available on writing terminal procedures.2. Ask and have someone write them for you.3. Go to navdata.at and see if someone already has done this work for you and download them.4. Program it into the FMC manually.Be sure to read the "Updating Terminal Procedures explained.txt" file that came with the 0413 cycle.Happy flying.Terry

Bruce,Here's the data for it:Open up Flight Simulator 9PMDGSIDSTARSKLAX.txt and paste this in directly above the LOOP4 data:Set the at or below 3000 restriction on the SMO R-160 fix manually before takeoff - I don't believe there's a way to code it into the procedure. Terry, do you know of a way? Putting "AT OR BELOW 3000" after "FROM FIX SMO" generated an error in the FMC...

SID LAXX5 RNW 24L RNW 24R HDG 250 UNTIL RADIAL 160 FROM FIX SMO KEEP HDG UNTIL 15 FROM FIX LAX RNW 25L RNW 25R HDG 250 UNTIL RADIAL 160 FROM FIX SMO HDG 220 UNTIL 15 FROM FIX LAX TRANSITION DAG FIX SLI FIX SEBBY FIX DAG TRANSITION IPL FIX OCN FIX JLI FIX KUMBA FIX IPL

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

HiTo code this into the procedure I think you will have to define a fix on the intersection of the two courses, runway heading and the SMO 160 radial, for each runway with the alt restriction(3000B) included. At some airports these crossing intsc may be predefined. On the other hand the easiest way may be to set the at or below 3000 restriction on the SMO R-160 fix manually before takeoff as Ryan described.If you set up the departure manually in the FMC, you could also enter this alt restriction on the SMO 160 radial as a PB/PB waypoint, or course intersection waypoint. As an example for runway 24R you can enter R0954250/SMO160 in the scratchpad and upselect this to LSK1L, and enter /3000B at LSK1R.For the other rwy's enter this at LSK1L25L:R0947250/SMO16025R:R0946250/SMO16024L:R0953250/SMO160The R09xx are intsc in the database for each runway, 250 is the heading.Or you can use HDG SEL and LVL CHG or handfly as described earlier, several options here....

Just wanted to thank you for all the informative replies. I'm having a lot of fun learing all this stuff.Regards,sluggerBruce Beattie