Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Every flight for me does not engage the ILS read on if you can help?

Once again i get an error that my nav is not correct i must be missing a step here because my ILS nav 1 and 2 is correct matching the right nav freq that the fmc shows.So i manage to input this info and set up a dual ILS approach but somehow the app or vorloc button do not work. I also get an error written in yellow saying nav disagree. On one of my most recent flights, I ended up clicking something which i dont know what it was but i know it was in the FMC under legs page which then made my ILS needle slowly lign up on my screen where i initially had the yellow error of nav disagree, and then the aircraft tried intercepting itself, however it was to late because this was now short final at about 1500 feet and the aircraft disengaged itself from the Ils.Any help on this please since this is the most important phase of flight and i must be doing something wrong or skipping a step somewhere.

In addition to Randy's suggestion...Don't forget to dial in the correct course. Make sure you take a good look at the approach plate. Following the plate is one of the key steps to ensure a stabilized approach. If you are not going to fly the full approach, try not to intercept the localizer with anything more than a 30 degree intercept angle. Also be sure you

Hi guys i agree with you both and i am looking into both your suggestions, i am reading up on this issue as well it seems that the app button light stays on until GS capture, can anyone confirm this?Basically i would engage VOR/LOC when LOC is captured then click APP? I have yet to try this but this is my understanding to get it right.Also flying the plate is what i end up doing but i've been flying with atc so i'm really flying the final leg and intercepting at about max 30 degrees at about 10 miles out. The altitude is usually about right maybe a little off compared to the plate but i wonder if this is really my problem. Thanks!

If you are flying an ILS Click the APP button. Also, make sure you are at 180knts when you intercept. Then lower the gear, decelerate and begin following the flap schedule around the O/M.You can also take a look at the tutorials available for the NG. They are good resources for flying the NG.Finally, do a search, there are losts of post describing good procedures for flying an ILS.

I just did a successful flight and an Ils approach i think i'm slowly getting it unfortunately the tutorials miss a few steps i followed Fred Clausens and there was no mention about the VOR/LOC being selected before the app button. It seems you need to intercept the loc and then click the app to lign up perfectly btw the app seem to only respond at about 3000 ft at about 10 miles which is where an ILS should commence anyways, so maybe that was a mistake of mine in previous flights. IF you miss it the only way before reaching 5 miles final is to get back on the localizer by lowering the plane or going up until it gets it then app will be clickable again. Again this is from my experience on my last flight. I did some further research and in real life the app light stays on until (gs) glide slope capture, this is done so it will stop the pilot from accidently deselecting APP mode. Initially my problem was expecting the light on the mcp to stay on until I land or disengage it manually before touch down (flare). So i always thought i lost the App when it would go off and the end result flying visual. Then i had nav ils errors if not properly intercepting the ILS and i'm now learning about the localizer before clicking the app (VOR/LOC) 1st.Any comments and correct me if i'm wrong in any of this, i'm trying to learn how to proffesionaly fly the PMDG. Thanks!

"It seems you need to intercept the loc and then click the app to lign up perfectly btw"You should not need to press the LOC before pressing the APP. They are two separate and distinct autopilot functions. Dial in the intercept heading and press the APP button. If you have set everything up properly you should be able to sit back and watch the NG capture the localizer and then glide slope."the app seem to only respond at about 3000 ft at about 10 miles which is where an ILS should commence anyways"In my experiences FS models the localizer and glide slope fairly well. You should be able to intercept the localizer approx 15+ miles out. At KORD I have intercepted the localizer at approx 15 miles and I have intercepted the glide slope as high as 5,000ft (although this is not the procedure defined in the approach plate, just me playing around)."IF you miss it the only way before reaching 5 miles final is to get back on the localizer by lowering the plane or going up until it gets it then app will be clickable again."I think you are confusing the glide slope and the localizer. The localizer provides lateral guidance (left and right) while the glide slope provides vertical guidance (up and down). You first need to intercept the localizer then intercept the glide slope.Check out this site, it is a short tutorial about ILS approaches:http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/ILS%20Approaches.html

this issue as well it seems that the app button light stays on until GS capture, can anyone confirm this? Yes the light goes out @ G/S capture, the reason being that if the light remains on the MCP then logic tells you one can de-select the mode by pushing the button. For APP mode you cannot do this. For you to leave approach mode you have to do one of these -Re-tune the navsPush a TOGA buttonTurn off the A/P and F/DsBest Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |