Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankathl

AS REQUIRED?

Guest frankathl

Some items on the normal checklists have an AS REQUIRED response. While this is understandable in the written version of the checklist(in order to cover different possible configurations), shouldn't the verbal response be to describe the ACTUAL position of the switches, etc? The AS REQUIRED response is vague and, I think, open to misinterpretation?BR,Frank

Guest ahmedem

The pilot responding to the checklist will not say AS REQUIRED they will state the position of the switch. E.g for anti-ice the response will be either "on" or "not required".

Guest frankathl

Thanks, Ahmed, but I have definitely heard pilots use the AS REQUIRED response on the flight deck videos I own. Listen, for example, to the checklists being read on the ITVV Go B737-300 video, where the AS REQUIRED response is used a number of times. I wonder if this varies according to the airline?BR,Frank

>Thanks, Ahmed, but I have definitely heard pilots use the AS>REQUIRED response on the flight deck videos I own. Listen, for>example, to the checklists being read on the ITVV Go B737-300>video, where the AS REQUIRED response is used a number of>times. I wonder if this varies according to the airline?>BR,>Frank Because these items are conditional. Take flap settings. Depending on a number of things, flap settings can be conditional so "as Required"..I don't think a readback here would be anything but what the dispatch sheet calls for, like if you were going to use FLAPS 5.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Guest frankathl

Thanks, Randy!"Because these items are conditional"That's what I was suggesting when I said above that the written checklist has AS REQUIRED, "in order to cover different possible configurations". However, I don't see why this prevents the verbal response from stating actual switch position? In the example you cite, why not state "Flap...", instead of "AS REQUIRED"? In that way, the pilot making the challenge will know whether the function is as required or not.BR,Frank