Sign in to follow this  
Mats_J

Windy approach ESMS

Hey guys,Just wanted to brag with some pictures from a pretty windy approach at ESMS, Malm

Guest ChristophIllmer

Really nice ones Mats! And yes, it has been really windy here in Germany too for the last 2 days.

Guest nattydread

Thats looks like mine from earlier today, I had her nailed but slacked off at 100ft...gotta keep flying that baby until touchdown. I touchdown with upwind main gear first and had to torque her around to get her going down the runway. I always like to see people who insist on landing these birds themselves.

Guest bobsk8

With that kind of crosswind a bit less flaps may have made it easier to land.

Bob,That's a very interesting remark. As I was preparing for approach and landing I was thinking on what would be best; Lot of flaps to get a short landing distance, or less flaps to get a higher approach speed and thus not be as affected by the crosswinds. I opted for the former which might have been wrong. What would've been the real world call in this situation?Cheers,

Guest bobsk8

>Bob,>>That's a very interesting remark. As I was preparing for>approach and landing I was thinking on what would be best; Lot>of flaps to get a short landing distance, or less flaps to get>a higher approach speed and thus not be as affected by the>crosswinds. I opted for the former which might have been>wrong. >>What would've been the real world call in this situation?>>Cheers,Well I have never flown anything bigger than a C-172 in real life, but instructors always harped on the fact that less flaps in a crosswind is better since the flaps act to increase the effect of the crosswind. I would suppose that the theory would also apply in a larger aircraft.

Guest frazer

>What would've been the real world call in this situation?I wouldn't even think about applying flaps 40 in this situation. 30 at the most, but with the quite long runway at ESMS, 15 would work as well.

I too enjoy landing airplanes myself... there's no enjoyment out of watching the AP do everything for you. That's what the real world is for

Guest mattiassjolund

SNYGGT JOBBAT MATS!!!What is the maximum wind speed to be able to land anyway???? I did (didnt) do an approach to EGKK three or four days ago on Rwy 26 with wind 210-215 at close to 60 knots, it just didnt work out okej, ended up on the lawn...../mattias

I think max. crosswind for 737NG is 35 knots.

Guest bobsk8

>I think max. crosswind for 737NG is 35 knots.Demonstrated at 35 knots. Calculated is 40 on a dry runway 140 feet wide.

Guest rellehenk

Your landing speed is quit low.This is a general rule for the 737If wind less than 10 knots: VREF + 5More than 10 knots: VREF + 1/2 x wind + whole gust

Floris,That rule only goes for the wind component along the runway isn't it? At least that would make sense as that is the only component that will affect my airspeed. The crosswind component will not affect airspeed but track.Would be great with some clarification on this one!Cheers,

Guest rellehenk

You are right about that. You still have to calculate the cross wind Factor :)(I think) -> CAUTION NOT A REAL PILOT.... :D