Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

How to program CDU for DME dependent turn?

I almost always just fly by hand take-off and finals, but I wanted to know how I could program the CDU/FMC to follow a DP procedure as it's stated in the chart.The Buckeye One DP from KPHX states climb out of runway 25R/25L/26 to 1550 feet then climbing turn left heading 240, at 13 DME (west) from PXK VORTAC climbing turn right heading 280 and procede to BXK, bla bla bla.How can this be entered into the CDU so the F/D and AP would follow it?

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest nattydread

Hmmm, that may require you to use the MCP. Im not sure if you know how to manually fly a DME arc, if not, try this. Set your RMI to what ever navaid you are doing the arc from. Fly your heading with the RMI 90deg(on your wing tip) to you and at your designated DME distance. Then turn 10degs for the arc wait until the RMI shows 90 degs on your wing tip and turn 10 more degs and wait. Rinse and repeat until you are your proper heading or radial. For every .10 DME you are off under your DME turn 10degs(but no more than 30degs) outside the turn until you are at the right distance then turn back into the turn until the RMI is on the wing tip again. If you are too far away turn into the turn 10degs per .10 DME. Once you are back to the proper distance and RMI on the wing tip, go back to 10degs changes into the turn and waiting for the RMI to reach teh wing-tip again, rinse and repeat. Basically just use the Heading select for your 10deg turns. Worst case scenerio, build the SID with custom waypoints at every tenth radial from the navaid and the proper DME distance. So at waypoint at 240, 250, 260, 270, 280 radial 13DME from PXK. PXK240/13PXK250/13PXK260/13PXK270/13PXK280/13But hey, having the bird do all the work isnt fun :)

Guest nattydread

Ok, I just realized you may not be trying to build a DME arc, if not just use:Navaid: PXKBearing: 240Distance: 13To build the custom waypoint use: PXK240/13 and PXK280/13

I don't think the PXR/240/13 fix will be correct here. The charts states hdg 240 after passing 1550. So the 240 is not in reference to PXR, but where you are after passing 1550. This may be tricky to enter in the FMC.There may be several ways to do this, but in this case I would have done this the old fashioned way and use HDG SEL.1. Before takeoff, on the FIX page enter a 13NM from PXR to get a green arc radius from PXR. Then you have a visual reference to 13NM (I prefer to do this) - Also enter BXK in VOR1 and PXR in VOR2: Enter 257 in the COURSE window, enter 258 in HDG window.2. After takeoff at 400 RA select HDG SEL as your roll mode. Fly rwy hdg to 1550, then dial in 240 in the MCP (also remember the 7000 restriction until further clearance)3. Follow 240 until 13NM PXR on DME readout4. When reaching 13NM PXR dial in hdg 280 in the MCP5. When established on hdg 280 arm VOR LOC. 6. The plane will then fly hdg 280 and intercept radial 257 to BXK vor.Then follow the rest of your sid transition.Another way to make use of LNAV and VNAV is to write this into a SID procedure. Then you will have something like this:SID BXK.2 RNW 25L RNW 25R RNW 26 TRK 258 UNTIL 1550 TRK 240 UNTIL 13 FROM NAVAID PXR TRK 280 INTERCEPT RADIAL 257 TO NAVAID BXK NAVAID BXK

Chris,This can only be done through writing your own terminal procedure. As in the real thing you can't enter conditional waypoints into the FMC when on the flight deck. They have to be programmed. Per Arild gave you some nice suggestions on how to solve it.Hope it helps,

Okay, thanks guys! I wasn't sure if it could be done. Didn't realize that's what a conditional waypoint was exactly. I'll maybe try messing with the SID file. Otherwise, I know how to use the MCP or just hand-fly it. That's what I usually do.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired