Sign in to follow this  
chiswick72

Just a bit of European Competition

Guest lbb

Should be PMDG's next project... Well, after the 744, MD11, and BBJ of course :-)BTW, I do feel a certain European pride, but I have to confess that so far I find it looks impressive but not beautiful, which I think the entire 747 series does (well, except for the SP perhaps).Leo Bakker

Guest teeloo

Bwahh.Defenitely not a beauty... Of course for anyone working on this huge project, she must be a marvel.But the nose looks like it goes back 50 years! ;-)I wonder how the cargo version should have it's loading doors...Remember, the 747 was originally build for cargo, not pax!That's why the cockpit is on 'top' of the fuselage, to build a front door.Teeloo

Impressive, no question.But the nose is like ultimatively ugly, imho.

Looks like it has its paint job all done, and theyre keeping it covered for the official launch ?Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest ahmedem

>> Looks like it has its paint job all done, and theyre keeping it>> covered for the official launch ?Yes it sure does, but looks to me like its the same Airbus scheme there was a rumour that they'll have a new scheme for the launch, like Boeing did with the dreamliner scheme and the 7e7 doesn't seem the case from that pic.I agree it is an ugly plane, but I admire it nontheless from an engineering point of view and I'm sure it will continue to be a huge success.9 days till the launch looking forward to it, can't wait till paris '05 to see her in the air.(Hope this thread isn't hijacking the forum too much, not really PMDG related, but still interesting).

Guest Jeroen November

Well yes...it looks impressive.But PMDG simulating it I think not. It's widely known that flight simulator doesn't do well in simulating a real airbus. What we really need for that to happen is a European software company that takes on Microsoft & beats them like Airbus is doing to Boeing at the moment (maybe also with government support:-) ) . Microsoft did a questionnaire recently for european customers to ask them what they would like most...but hey it's an American company & I can't blame them for it that they put most of there efforts in American planes and Scenery. So untill someone is up for a challenge with Microsoft we would better go to a real life simulator to get a real airbus simulation feeling.Greets,Jeroen

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Hey...After all it's a 'French' nose!...George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guest TrafficTraffic

I guess "looks quite nice" is in the eye of the beholder.Lee Hetherington, PP-ASEL (KBED)

>.but>hey it's an American company & I can't blame them for it that>they put most of there efforts in American planes and Scenery.I can't blame them either.Europeans built their A380 so they should also make sure it has a decenet desktop simulator for it (whether as an FS add-on or not).Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest bobsk8

I think Airbus has built a plane that very few people will want to fly on, I'm afraid to say. Airports will have problems accommodating aircraft that large for one thing, and it will probably be a magnet for terrorists. Just my opinion, we will see fairly soom how this gamble by Airbus pays off.

Guest Jeroen November

Airports will have problems>accommodating aircraft that large for one thing, and it will>probably be a magnet for terrorists. Just my opinion, we will>see fairly soom how this gamble by Airbus pays off. >I don't quite agree on that point. People still work in skyscrapers &nd fly in 747's or any other aircraft...terorism risk is in time something people learn to live with. As for the airports...if the airplane sells well the airports will adapt, no question about that. The same went on with the introduction of the 747, given time and luck it will succeed.GreetsJeroen

Can't agree there....Airbus has done it's market research and is building aircraft to fulfill orders that have already been placed.If Boeing had gone this route it would be being touted as the 'new generation 747' This whole situation is very similar to the initial objection / concerns towards the Concorde.If airlines buy them, airports will have to cater to them and passengers will have to fly on them. Simple as that really.Glenn Harrall

Guest cw1011

Actually, the 747 is a much better example than the Concorde. Countries never backed off their unwillingness to have their populations subject to sonic booms on a regular basis, which was a critical factor in the very, very limited success of the Concorde. That and it's small passenger volume/high cost.But, you are correct about the Queen of the Skies. Airports adapted as the plane's popularity increased. The other point that is sometimes lost in these discussions here at AVSIM is the flying public's desire often matters little in the selection of aircraft by the carriers. Air travel is now a commodity. Getting there is no longer half the fun, its just about getting there at the lowest possible cost as possible. (With the possible exception of Virgin Atlantic).If airlines think they will make money with the big bus, they will buy it. Most business travelers prefer narrow body airbuses to boeings becuase they are wider and tend to be a bit more comfortable. Doesn't stop SW, Alaska, Continental etc. from taking deliveries of the 737 model of the day. Hasn't hurt their business either. Bottom line - if airlines see a profit in the plane, they will buy it.