Sign in to follow this  
WAD3

SWA Autothrottle

Is it true that SWA does not use Autothrottle? Out of curiosity why is this. I have been flying some Southwest flights with the NG and I have been flying without the autothrottle. Another comment on the PMDG 737NG I usually handfly to cruising altitude and also on descent and landing. This plane is so smooth,I have never flown a 737 but if it this smooth IRL I can understand why it such a popular Airplane. Thanks for the Great Add-on I look forward to your next additions.

Yes no Autothrottle or VNAV. I suppose they do this because they have always done it with all their 737s. It has worked well for them thus far - "Why change a good thing"? they say. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

No autobrake either. Only RTO. Manual on landings.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

I wonder why? Is it a strict company policy, or is it up to the pilots? I mean things on the NG are developed to ease the workload on pilots. Why in the world would you not use such things?It is probably my weakness though that I don't get it. Can someone enlighten me?Cheers,

>I wonder why? Is it a strict company policy, or is it up to>the pilots? I mean things on the NG are developed to ease the>workload on pilots. Why in the world would you not use such>things?>>It is probably my weakness though that I don't get it. Can>someone enlighten me?>>Cheers,Someone once said because it's cheaper. Don't have to do the extra training and no maintenance costs.Matt

Guest wkzzo

It used to be cheaper, its not anymore. The new FCC's incorporate the autothrottle, unlike the old smith's A/T's that were a seperate box. The equipment is already there, once SW phases out its older 737's they will probably activate the A/T's The SW 737NG's do have auto brakes.

They may have autobrakes, but I know they can't use them on landing per policy. Maybe that's changed but read the NTSB report on the SWA that overran the runway in Burbank and you'll see it states manually braking only. Page 8, very top http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2002/AAB0204.pdfIt says they're deactivated.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest Ray51

Having ridden if a few SWA aircraft I can tell you they do not use autobrakes! The cockpit looked exactly like the PMDG panel when set to SWA. I didn't look at the autothrottle switch to see if it was removed or blocked out in any way though.

Guest tmetzinger

I believe that nearly all the SWA NG aircraft have the autothrottles installed, and the decision not to use them or the corresponding VNAV modes is based on maintaining commonality with the older aircraft in the fleet. This reduces training costs as the differences between the airplanes are related to weight and balance and some minor systems differences, and not much in operating procedures. This means pretty much that any SWA pilot can fly any SWA airplane.When the older airplanes are all gone, I expect that SWA will revisit the issues to provide what they feel is the best mix of efficiency and safety. When I fly for SimSouthwest, I use the autothrottle and VNAV normally, but sometimes fly without them.

You'd think the cheaper way would be to use the auto-throttles. A computer can manage the throttles better than a human in terms of fuel saving. But that is interesting. Glad to see some pilots still like to fly like in the good ol' days instead of now where you barely do anything except program a computer, takeoff, and sit back.

Guest cw1011

I read an article about this several years back. It has more to do with keeping the pilots engaged than it being cheaper. I think there is a fear that all this automation will lead to inatention in the cockpit. Can't argue with their safety record. No fatal accidents yet. Also, it's actually more expensive in the long run even if the AT is not installed, as the AT helps reduce fuel costs.