Sign in to follow this  
Guest thscholz

Barometric setting at transition altitude/level

Guest thscholz

I guess that this question maybe should be posted in other than the PMDG forum, but I like this forum.:-hah Let's say that the transition is at 5000 feet. ATC tells me to climb/descend to 5000 feet/FL50. When levelling at that altitude, should I change the barometric setting already or should I change it when I get clearance to the next altitude?BTW, FS9 ATC doesn't know the answer, as on my last flight after levelling at transition level ATC kept compaining that I was too high, then too low, then too high...and I kept switching between STD and QNH...:-eek CheersThomas

Guest Boone

Transition altitude in the U.S. is 18,000 ft. Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Guest thscholz

>Transition altitude in the U.S. is 18,000 ft. >Boone,I know that. But here in Europe (and I think that in the rest of the world too) the transition is at 5000 ft.Maybe my example wasn't a good one. Actually I got a clearance from ATC to descend to FL180 (transition level in FS9). And there the going up and down started until I almost missed the airport.x( CheersThomas

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Thomas, You asking a very good question. I have often wondered the same. To add to your information, the UK has a transition altitude of 6000 ft, if my memory serves me right, and Denmark has 5000 ft around Copenhagen (EKCH), while it is 3000 ft in the rest of the country.Thanks,BoazEKCH

In real life I belive that FL180 always is used as a FL in USA/Canda, i.e. you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Hello,Very easy to answer:US, as said FL180, means any atc will tell you for example "descend to FL190", or FL180. If below, he will say "descend to Altitude 15000 altimeter setting 29.99" for example. Once you have recieved this order, descent to an altitude, select in the alt window the ordered alt, and switch from Standard to altimeter setting.In europe, it will be the same, except that the transition altitude may vary from country to country, and even from airport to airport.In France, the lowest one that I know is 4000ft for transition altitude, and FL050 for transition levelNow, if you really want to be a purist, here is what you should do:Let say you are cruising at FL330, ATC tells you to descend and maintain 3000 ft 1015 HPA, you should initiate the descent, and switch from standard to A.S. only when crossing the transition level. At contrario, when climbing, let say from 3000 to FL330, you should switch when crossing the transition level.Be aware that transition level and transition altitude may be slightly different.Hope this helps.Cyrille de LattreAsus P4P800/4 2.4 Ghz/1.5Giga DDRAMATI 9800 Pro 128 MegATI 9200 SE 128 MegWin XP SP2 / FS9.1 with and with out nocd key.PSS Beta tester

Guest thscholz

>Let say you are cruising at FL330, ATC tells you to descend>and maintain 3000 ft 1015 HPA, you should initiate the>descent, and switch from standard to A.S. only when crossing>the transition level. >>At contrario, when climbing, let say from 3000 to FL330, you>should switch when crossing the transition level.>Cyrille,seems like you didn't get my point.What you are telling me is something I know (and every good pilot should know;-) ).I know what to do when passing transition altitude/level (well, sometimes I forget and change the setting a bit late:-shy ).But I think that it could happen, that you get clearance for exactly that transition altitude/level.CheersThomasEdit: I think that I should start learning english with my son, so maybe it would be easier for others to understand what I mean:-lol

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi Thomas, I think I know what you mean, so allow me to rephrase your question: Suppose that there is quiet a difference between standard pressure and the local pressure. If you are instructed level exactly at the switch between the two, which setting should you use? Using one setting, you will be too high, using another one, you will be too low.Thanks,BoazEKCH