Sign in to follow this  
N520AT

New MD-11 Screenshots

Guest bisinchi

I didn't have any specific interest concerning the MD11 until now, these shots look fantastic and sure did change my mind.All the best to the development team to finish this add-on!!Francois

Raffael,>For the sake of ones eyes - please make the FMC a little>larger ;-)The MCDU ( Multifunction Control Display Unit = FMC) is a window which you can move and resize to your heart's content.>Keep up the work, don't lose your minds, it surely is worth>your efforts!Too late. I've already lost my mind.Bill

>I didn't have any specific interest concerning the MD11 until now, these shots look fantastic and sure did change my mind.Francois,I think that you will find the MD-11 to be a very interesting airplane. It's a pleasure to fly (like all big airplanes) and the avionics are very nice, in the opinion of many who use them better than the competition... all the competition. Bill

Guest Valid_Andy

>>Whoah. Looks awesome, now this is what I've been waiting>for!>>Stuff the 747!!! Looks shockingly good!>>>>I KNOW this is a very early version, but I'd like to ASK>about>>one thing, since it happens on the 737 also. On the first>>screen shot, it shows "10" on the ground on the PFD, as what>>looks like the height above the ground. Is this correct?>>Persumably this would be 0 foot, like in the A320.>Otherwise,>>you wouldn't get a 10foot call out during landing (if there>is>>one?) until the split second you touch down. I've also found>>this happens in the 737, you touch down at something like 11>>foot! Is this just me or is it supposed to be like that? It>>makes no sense that's all!>>>>Sorry about that, and I know what I just did is the reason>why>>you don't show many previews, but since it happened on the>737>>aswell I really did wonder! Can't wait for it guys, you will>>have my money (even if I have to force you:7)>> No that is incorrect, the 737 is not -10 ft but -4. I will>give you a "hint" as to why, think FLARE as in flying the NOSE>to the ground after T/D. A aircraft does NOT land in a flat>attitude but at an ANGLE relitive to the ground.>> I have no idea about a MD-11 but on a 744 it looks exactly>like this on at least one type of 400>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103667.jpg>>[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]>>>Sorry Randy, but I don't think I explained it correctly (or my English is bad, either way). I think you missed my point. I understand that on the ground it may have a negative number, my question about the Md11 was why it would be a positive, as to my point before about never hearing a 10foot callout if one exists. I know aircraft may have a negative number there because of how the aircraft isn't flat, as when the aircraft flares! This is what i mean't when I said..."I see! Hehe, my mistake. Maybe it's always a variable, it just hasn't evermade sense to me why they would have a static height of 10 on the ground, since the call outs would be 10 foot too late. I guess having minus numbers could be because the radio altimeter thing maybe be fore of the main gear, meaning it will be higher up during the landing flare than when the plane is flat on the floor....BAH!!! I don't know. Thanks for the info, and i can't wait to be confused by it!"...in my second post. The point I was trying to bring forward was to why it may be a positive number, and that the positive number never seemed right in the 737. I just landed in a 737-800, I took a screenshot (but can't upload it) of the moment before touch down (probably 1/10th of the diameter of the main wheels from the ground) and checked the PFD, it was reading 11 foot! This is what I'm talking about, I know it goes to -4 as i've seen in photos on airliners.net, and this is because of the flare angle, but I have a strong feeling unless I can be proven otherwise that it SHOULD NOT jump from 11 foot straight to -4, and that it should be more near 0 (although not exact cos the pitch angle isn't always the same during flare) then more to -4 as the nose is lowered after touchdown! That is what I meant, because if I want to land as a real world pilot described. flaring at 30-35foot means I actually have to flare at 40-45foot in the PMDG 737 (or so the panel says, even though I'm only 30-35foot over the ground. Hard to explain I know. I'm not trying to argue here, I just want PMDG's products to be the best. That is why I was asking about the positive 10 in the MD11.Constructive critism will give us a great product at the end. I'm sorry if this seems like an attack or arguing with you, but I'd just like to make my point since it seems I didn't explain it too well before hand.As i said before, looks awesome, and can't wait to see more previews (particulally of the VC!!!)EDITED: Grammer

HiThis is the aircraft that I have waited for a long time now and I am really looking forward to the realese of it but I have to ask one question;I see in the ND that there is a WX radar and I wonder if this is turned on, will it display the WX if we use AS2004 or other types of weather engines?The freeware ACS-MD11 panel has this feature and if the PMDG MD11 doesn't have it, will you guys at PMDG consider to make this feature available in the future for the PMDG MD11 panel?Reid St

Guest nattydread

It may very well depend on where the radio-altimter is located. Its reasonable to believe that the transmitter is located on the under-belly. its also likly that the under-belly is about 10ft of the ground...so it will register 10ft when on the ground. There is a similar issue with the glide-slope. the glide-slope is designed to cross the threshold at a certain height above ground...i want to say 30-50ft, but I have to go check my instrument ground school notes(I should know this, my orals are coming up soon.) Anyway, large aircraft have to take into account the location of their glide-slope receivers. Coming in over the threshold at 50ft reciever height, but being a 747 three or more stories tall isnt good if the receiver is on the top of the plane, that means you got 20ft or less of clearance and still needing to flare...this can mean a tail strike or issues with under-carriage clearance.These readings arent exactly absolute, but more or less a reference point for executing various procedures(ie: 50ft radio-alt= throttles idle, 30ft radio-alt= flare).

>Hey Randy,>You just did show us a new screenie of the PFD.>As the old shots on the product page still looks like the>B737NG. ;) :( :D :) Well that is because1] It's an early ALPHA shot2] Most likely the PFD is ported from the 737 and modified (not sure just a guess but as long as it is 100% correct there is no issues with this.3] The 737's PFD and 744 PFD indeed look alike in rl.3] If anything there are subtle differences between to two. Notice the startup speed of 200 knots as "one" example. I saw a post a while back that stated that the 744's PFD did not have "NO V SPD" this was incorrect, it IS there on the 744 too. The RA "location" IS a company OPTION just like the 737.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

BillHow nice that you have your own stuff, but you didn't answer my simple question, will it display the WX on the ND?Reid St

Reid,Actually, I did answer your simple question, which was this..."...will it display the WX if we use AS2004 or other types of weather engines?"and the answer still applies.Bill

Guest nattydread

Pant,pant!:-badteeth

Guest Darren Howie

About the radio alts.On transport catagory aircraft the radalt is calibrated to read zero with the aircraft in the landing attitude for obvious reasons.As you can imagine in an MD11 the Radalt antenna is located up front and as the nose lowers after touchdown a negative value will ensue.Same for almost all non french aircraft.Darren