Sign in to follow this  
Guest teeloo

Cost Index.... how does it work?

Guest teeloo

Hello,Two questions:1) What numbers should I use for Cost Index.2) Where does this number come from?I know minimum is 0 and max is 500.500 = lots of fuel use (safe time)?0 = very economical (time no issue)?What is the 0-500 scale coming from?regardsTeeloo

hii cant be to much help but, i dispatched a air malta 737-300 this summer and in the cockpit was a sticker saying cost index 34since then i have always used this figure...hope this is of some help to youif any one can elaborate further pls do."Lairy"Liam Reynolds

Liam Reynolds - EGNS

sig_smaller.jpg

Youtube Channel

I think the scale runs from 0-1000 but I may be wrong (it may differ between various airplane models).Cost Index is defined to be that speed which minimizes total cost (time+fuel). It

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

A captain on our team said that a CI over 100 does not make really any big differnce in savings on the NG. CI is different for each airline because it's directly related to their costs. It is exactly time VS fuel and operation costs. I see from 20s to 60s most commonly around upper 20s though..[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest teeloo

Thanks for the info! Teeloo

For anyone flying SAS I've been informed they use a CI of 50.

Richard Åsberg

Guest nattydread

i thought I remember it being siad that 80 was normal. this was with the old Fly!II PMDG 777 FMC manual though. Thats the setting I always use.

There are no normal settings per se, it

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest teeloo

Anybody knowing the formula?I know it is directly about fuel vs time etc.But anybody knowing what Boeing implemented as a formula?After all, it's their FMC telling what the engines should burn.I am interested in anybody knowing the calculations. It seems like it is rather complicated (dollars vs fuel cost vs engine perf.)Teeloo

Cost Index = Time-Related Cost ($/flt.hr) / Fuel Cost (cents/pound)CI of 999(9): Premium exists on time. Corresponding speeds are maximal in all flight phases. The FMC will build a small buffer from the barber pole (VMO/MMO).CI of 0: This is the case of highest influence of fuel cost ni the oerating bill, or a requirement for max range. ECON minimizes consumption in all phases. Climbs at max rate, cruises at little less than LRC (Long Range Cruise), and descends at close to moin drag.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Crazed One

I found this in an earlier search, an Airbus Cost Index guide.http://www.iata.org/NR/ContentConnector/CS...ex_Material.pdfI also found that Southwest Airlines seems to use 36 for CIAnd for some reason I had a 19 CI for Fed Ex cargo flights, I cant remember where I came up with that number though.And I had read that during flight, if behind schedule bump your CI up to 100-110, I am sure its pilot/airline dependent though.Would be neat if someone kept an updated Cost Index by airline/flight page :)

Guest teeloo

Thanks all of you!Great!The Airbus one is really coolTeeloo

I am sure its pilot/airline dependent though. Pilots have nothing to do with CI other than crunching them into the FMC. Flight dispatch are the guys who provide this information along with your route and fuel. There is NO correct CI because each airline has different COSTS. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest Crazed One

What I meant about pilot dependent, was bumping the CI up on the FMC if behind schedule for arrival, from whatever the original airline CI was, while in flight.

Yep, that is correct although from a what I understand the purpose of CI is pretty much thrown out the window when one need to manipulate it to achieve some tactical goal such as make up for lost time. Since the purpose of CI is to fly as economically as possible any changes to it screws up the calculations done by the management. Reduce it and the cost/flight hour increases, increase CI and the fuel cost increases. Arriving on time is not a factor for the CI calculation, but just as yousay the CI can be used to increase/decrease the ETA.Since I

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden