Sign in to follow this  
Guest teeloo

Cost Index.... how does it work?

Guest Hawkeyeted

I think the CI is calculated based on a baseline fuel cost for a given company.United Airlines; the cost for a gallon of Jet-A in Chicago (hypothetically) is $1.00. That is the baseline (CI 100). If you are going to fly from KORD to KJFK, and fuel in KJFK is $1.25 a gallon, the CI for the KORD to KJFK route is 75 (since fuel is 25% more expensive at KJFK). Conversely, if you fly from KORD to KLAX and Jet-A is $.75 a gallon in Los Angeles, the CI for that route is 125.I figure that if you're using a CI of 500, you're getting the fuel for free.....If I'm wrong here, please educate me....

Guest Soulman

CI differs for each segment and also each aircraft depending on the leasing terms. A high CI gives best time while low gives best cost. Ours are normally on the low end at around 16 or so.

I seem to think that the cost index is not working in the FMC. I read it in one of the tutorials.

ww1459.png

I recently tried different CI values to see if they had any effect on the suggested FL in the FMC (thought they would have) but didn't notice any difference no matter what CI value I entered. So maybe that's correct that the CI isn't modelled...?

Richard Åsberg

Guest Hawkeyeted

I thought I saw the CI work in the FMC. Not in cruise FL's, but in flight speed. Enter a CI of 50 and note the cruise speed (around .77-.78?) and then enter a CI of 500 and see if cruise speed jumps to .8 or so.

OK, I will have a look on next flight but shouldn't the CI value also affect your FL if the calculations are as their real counterparts?

Richard Åsberg

Guest Hawkeyeted

I would believe that in reall life, the CI DOES effect the FL's AND cruise speed. I just don't think it is in PMDG. Maybe I'm all wrong and it isn't modeled at all. I just thought I remember seeing CI effecting the in flight cruise speed.

Well...shouldn't be too hard finding out on my next flight :-)Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest gustav.m

Hi Teeloo,Timothy Metzinger in his excellent advanced manual advises:- "The COST INDEX is not modeled in the sim yet so any number will give the same result." I believe his ball park figure is actually 150Hope this helps.Regards,Gustav.

Hi Gustav.Yes that is where I saw it. Any PMDG staff able to help, point us in the right direction?

ww1459.png

Not sure if I'm right on this one but have a faint memory that the CI wasn't modelled in the first versions of the 737 package but that changed after some of the updates/service packs?Don't know if this really is a big issue but of course if would be nice with some info from the PMDG team to sort things out what is modelled in the sim and what's not.

Richard Åsberg

Mike, Gustav,The Tutorial you are refering to is for the -600/700 series. ANd for that series it is a correct statement. If you have the -800/900 upgrade you will have CI modelled.Hope it helps,

Hi Mats,OK, then my memory wasn't that bad for once ;-) What settings in the FMC will you see change in effect of changing the CI value?Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread concerning cost indexes so I'll ask my stupid quesiton of the day right here: Is the CI modeled in the PMDG 737NG? Because I noticed the other day that no matter what CI number I input on the FMC I always end up with the same climb, cruise and descent speeds. I got verison 1.3 for FS2002. Thanks for the help!

It's not going to do what you think it should. Remember CI is NOT automatically applied in the FMC. You get the CI from DISPATCH not the FMC. You certainly will get a TRIP ALTITUDE but does this match dispatch's numbers? I doubt it![h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]