Sign in to follow this  
Guest teeloo

Request for PMDG 747 - Sound

Guest teeloo

Hello,What I find slightly disappointing with the PMDG 737 is the spoolup sound on a take-off roll.I have been in a 744 cockpit on take-off a few times (real plane)and what is so very typical on the engine sound on the flightdeck is that there are loud and soft ranges of the engine.On taxi you hardly hear them (apart from a very clear distant high freq whining), but when they spool up it becomes louder.Most significant is on take-off. Especially with a "pre-spool-up", the engines become 'alive' and are very loud on the initial spool-up. I am not sure on the rpm ranges there but at a certain point (about 80%?) the engine sound becomes softer and softer and the typical fan-blade sound kicks in and gets louders.At max there is only a hum left and a high freq and the fan-blade sound (and of course the rattling of the flight deck as speed incr.).What exact physical effect causes these sound loudness variations I am not sure of. I know it has nothing to do with forward speed, as it also happens at nearly stand still.Does PMDG consider to add these sound variations (and flight deck rumbles) in the PMDG 747?I find sound effects are adding more realism then beefed-up graphics!regardsTeeloo

Guest captaingrice

Teeloo,I have to agree with you 100% here. I've personally never experienced a 747-400 flight deck take off, but I have travelled a many times on the upper deck near the front, the engine noises are very distinct thorugh the different regions you mentioned. Whats also interesting is the slight difference in sound between different engine types. BA's 744(RR) sounds slightly different to Virgins 744 (GE) - but hey, thats just something I've personally noticed. I also agree with your comments about sound effects adding realism to the experience! What ever PMDG do, I'm sure it will be a FANTASTIC package, be sure of that! I do hope PMDG will consider these comments, although I'm sure they probably have already.All the best,Steve.

With regard to the fan blade sound, I'm sure there's people out there who've been on more 744 flights than I have, but the last one I was on near the front of the plane I don't remember hearing any fan whine like what you'd usually hear on a DC-10, 767, or to some degree a 777. Hearing that sound is very dependent on exactly where you're sitting combined with the exact engine type.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Standing in a plane does not mean you know what it sounds like at TOGA in the cockpit. Sitting in first class does not do it either. Let us hear the sounds on the 744 before we comment, they will NOT be like the 737 sounds so no worries there. Everything about this plane is different so wait till you hear what the sound is about before any serious discussions on the matter.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest teeloo

Uhh Randy,First of all: I have been in a 744 flight deck on T/O and the little bit of sound from the engines that gets through is mainly the Fan blades on T/O.I am talking GE.Second: I've been reading some about PMDG listening to customers. Well, all I am saying is that I don't like the 737 T/O engine sound and hope you guys are improving this item a lot more on the 744.As I am flying a lot myself, I find sound is a main part of "feeling" the jet. Listing to engine sound is a way of control.Especially on slow responding engines.regardsTeeloo

I just hope the 744 is still going to be 30% less taxing on ones computer system then the 737 as was stated in a long ago msg from someone on the team, either Robert or Lefteris.

Eric 

Guest captaingrice

I didn't want to offend anyone with my opinions, I was just saying that when I fly on 744's, to me they have a very distinctive sound on spooling up - (but hey, perhaps I'm hearing wrong)! If anyone has watched the ITVV 747-400 programmes, either Cathay Pacific or Virgin, you will hear what I'm on about. The videos doesnt do the sounds real justice really, but gives an indication to viewers of the sounds in the flight deck as the engines power up for take-off.Anyway, I'm sure PMDG will produce a fantastic product as I've said in many previous posts - that is not the object of this particular discussion.

Guest teeloo

Na, I personally just hope it is going to be implemented!Teeloo

Hello again Teeloo, This will be the most advanced AIRCRAFT ever created for flight simulator. Big boast eh? I believe it will be shown once it is released. Since the sound is not out for anyone to test yet, it is ok for you to state what you desire, I don't think you will be dissapointed. Sound is always one area that draws difference of opinions. PMDG are aware of what some users felt concerning the 737 - sound included and they have heard their users with action. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

>>First of all: I have been in a 744 flight deck on T/O and the>little bit of sound from the engines that gets through is>mainly the Fan blades on T/O.I only hope that PMDG will not give in to this sound "pressure" campaign and deliver sounds that are realistic in the cockpit, not the first class seats ;-) Kevin Au who sometimes writes on Avsim forums and is a professional ERJ-145 pilot claims for exmaple there are no engine sounds at all in the cockpit of ERJ-145. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Hehe yeah. You know Michael, what some folks think and what reality is is often separated by a vast gulf ;-). Take the 737 for example, on the real aircraft one can barely think because it is that noisy yet most users cannot stand the stby alt or rec fan humming along. I remeber one guy saying that his girlfriend did not appreciate it LOL. Sound is one area that can never be perfected for every user, it's another subjective topic even if you recoed directly from the cockpit. I dare say that if someone produces a loud "SPOOLING" regardless if it is realistic or not seems to appeal more to the masses. "A little bump & Grind" replaced with "A little Growl and Whine" ;-). PMDG have access to 747s and pilots, so I am sure they will cover this area in detail.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Guest teeloo

Hi Randy....>>Big boast eh?Man, it certainly is! I'd wait another year if it is going to be what it feels like it is going to be ;-)Well to be honest with you, I agree that every one has a different opinion on sounds.It's just that the planes on the market now all have the same trouble with the sounds... it doesn't feel like sitting in the jet. It's more like: many sounds, sounding like a very sound to make it sound like a sound.Yeah, you could see it as a joke, but this last sentence is rather true in my humble opinion, or else re-read it.:-)Randy, reading all your messages on this forum, the jumbo (I haven't seen anybody calling it this way, yet, here on the forum) must be a software marvel of the first degree!So, really I am not sure if PMDG is still listening or reading any inputs now. If not, I'll be quiet untill after release...If they still have ears open, I will only comment on things I'd like to see improoved. And I am brief at it (well, not with this message really).And honestly, I am writing it here on this forum to see if I have a fanclub on the subjects, or that I am lonely on the QC (quality control)-dream-cloud ;-)If nobody agrees with me, or only 1 out of 1000... I'd not even bother PMDG about it even after the release.Oh, one last thing about the sounds: I fly with ear plugs for real. That sounds really diferent the without! ;-)... No I am not asking to implement a earplug switch...Just telling how relative sound can be !!regardsTeeloo

Wow, I found the 737NG's sounds to be absolutely unparalleled in quality. Especially on final with spoilers armed, it's frighteningly real!Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X