Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone have this problem with the T-38?

As soon as the sim starts the plane exibits the crash landing sound in the background? (Like the gear collapsed and im dragging the nose down the runway)but the plane looks and taxis fine. It stays there till i take off, then its gone. Then when i land , as soon as the nose wheel touches, and i mean touches the ground the crash sound is there again? Only with this plane. Its as if the the sim thinks the gear collapsed but it has not?Other than that its a fantastic aircraft. Real touchy in the air.Any ideas would be appreciated.....Thanks FSD!Ed:-hmmm

I'm having a similar problem except mine takes a nose dive and crashes as soon as I start a flight. Maybe something to do with the contact points in the Aircraft CFG? Hope this can be fixed somehow.

Guest drobson

Don't think it's a problem with the aircraft, (at least it works/sounds just fine for me). Try a different airport, and see if it still acts up. Darrell

I have a different problem. I get the windows ding every time I touch a gauge and also a windows ding on approach at a certain altitude. IT's a very nice aircraft though, except it needs considerable flight model tweaking if you're using an MSFFB stick. First thing to add is the ground ffb section from another plane. Second, thing is to play with the numbers in the flighttuning section. I'm getting there. IT's still way to twitchy on my joystick and takeoff is not at all right. It just pops up into the air. But, that's my joystick. Increasing elevator stability usually corrects that type problem. It's amazing how different joysticks work so differently on the flight model. I've still got a minimum landing speed of 160 knots. That seems kinda fast but then I don't know what the actual aircraft landing speed is suppose to be.

Guest PhilC

There has been an update posted at FSD's site to solve the 'ding' problem.I am also experiencing the crash sound when starting the sim with the T-38 and when the front wheel touches down. I also have another problem where, with the engines shutdown, I continue hearing the taxi roll sounds. Anyone else? The T-38 references the default Lear 45 sounds and I do not have this happen with the Lear, only the T-38.I have been looking into this and, believe me, if it is a problem outside of our particular systems it will be taken care of.I will keep you informed of what I find out and please do the same.

Guest Mirage

I`m also hearing the continues taxi roll sounds. And I dont have it to point to the Learjet sounds.Andy

Oh, I don't need to adjust the flight model after all. I see that the aircraft.cfg file is missing the &l;forcefeedback&r; section. Without it, it turns my stick into a limp noodle and makes it hard to control the plane.- Kenny B

I increased aileron stability in the flight tuning section to 1.5. That's better; but thinking about going even higher to like 2.0 to settle the roll down some. Don't want to go to high as the real T38 rolls really fast. I watch the wings channel and was amazed how fast they go all the way around.

Guest TerryT

Yes I too have some initial problems flying the T-38 , but I think it is "Not" all the aircraft's fault.First, I have "Never" flown the real jet and or a motion based sim but did have a few minutes of flying the "Instrument" trainer (bolted to the floor and did not move). From what I can remember, the roll rate was in excess of 760 degrees per second. While that is fast, it was not as twitchy as it is in this FS2002 model. I think that the rate could and should be adjusted somehow via the flight dynamics program. I have tried to adjust my joystick to a less sensitive mode but was not much help in this area.Now on to the landing speed question. Yes 160 KIAS is a "Good" speed in the T-38. I dug out my old T.O. 1T-38A-1 (flight manual for the T-38) and in the "Normal Operations" section, the landing speed is calculated as followed. Use 155KIAS plus "fuel" but no lower than "On Speed" (Green AOA Indexer Light) Just for comparison, the F-4E had a approach speed of aprox 170 KIAS with the gear and flaps down.(80% power required) I did get to fly the F-4C (real jet)for about 1.5 hours and it was just as easy to fly as my old Cessna C-150L. Of course there were no comparisons between the two's performance (speed, thrust, climb, etc. but they both did what they were designed for very well. The manual states that the "Fuel" adjustment is 1 knot increase per every 100 pounds above 1000 of fuel remaining. The fuel quanity "Fully Serviced" is 598/3887 (gal/pounds) and "Usable" 583/3790. Also, even though there is a "Left/Right" fuel gauge, this does not mean left/right "Wing". All of the T-38s fuel is in the fuselage in two cells. The Left is the forward cell and the Right is the Aft cell.I hope this helps clear up some of the question raised on this "Outstanding" FS2002 add-on aircraft. Now if only Microsoft could do a similar job on their default aircraft, the program would be truely as real as it gets.Terry TurnerRet AF Flight Simulator Tech

BamO! PhilC,Thats my problems to a "T"The other update fixed the windows ding prob...Thanks FSD for fixing so quickly!Very cool plane and i love flying it, The contrails are cool too. That crash sound on touch down really kills it for me though....Thanks,Ed

Dear Terry,>From what I can remember, the roll rate was in excess of 760 >degrees per second. Which is what our resident USAF expert advised and in so doing he also advised that rate is achieved @ 350~400 Kts, and varies above or below that speed - as I profiled in the FM.There are two issues here :(1)>While that is fast, it was not as >twitchy as it is in this FS2002 model. There are so many controllers that work differently that will be partly the cause.(2)>I think that the rate >could and should be adjusted somehow via the flight dynamics >program. I have tried to adjust my joystick to a less >sensitive mode but was not much help in this area. I think ... you need to try not using so much controller roll input. Our consultant indicated the roll inertia you see and the roll rate you see is consistent with the % joystick / real T38 controller input. We were advised there are placarded control input limits on the real T38 as a function of mach number - but these can't be applied or imposed in FS.>The manual states that the "Fuel" adjustment is 1 knot >increase per every 100 pounds above 1000 of fuel remaining. >The fuel quanity "Fully Serviced" is 598/3887 (gal/pounds) >and "Usable" 583/3790. Also, even though there is a >"Left/Right" fuel gauge, this does not mean left/right >"Wing". All of the T-38s fuel is in the fuselage in two >cells. The Left is the forward cell and the Right is the Aft >cell. And there is also a (minor) difference in capacities between the two tanks - but I opted to total them to spec and average them ...>I hope this helps clear up some of the question raised on >this "Outstanding" FS2002 add-on aircraft. Now if only >Microsoft could do a similar job on their default aircraft, >the program would be truely as real as it gets.

Guest TerryT

Thanks Steve for explaining what you have done in order to make the T-38 a flyable aircraft. Once you figure out how much "not" to move the stick especially on takeoff, it flys pretty good. I did adjust down my Logitech Force Feedback stick and also set the "Realism" slider to the 50% mark in the FS2002 program. In our multi million dollar simulators (F-4E and F-111Ds) the biggest complaint from the crews was the stick feel did not seem right. Close but not right. That is what I found out when I flew the F-4C. She was very stabile and yet could be racked around the sky as needed to do it's mission. The one thing that our sims could not simulate very well was "G" forces. Yes we could inflate the g-suits when the pilot pulled Gs, and the seat cushions could inflate/deflate to give some seat of the pants sensation, but there is no way short of centrifuge training that can give one the feel of what 4-7 positive and 1-2 negitive Gs feel like. When it takes all you can just to breath let alone trying to turn or raise your head with one of those older heavy brain buckets (helmets)on. On top of that, the F-4 did not have much of an enviromental system, (air conditioner only worked at altitude)and yet I was thrilled to have had the chance to fly her.Again I would like to thank you and the rest of the design team for a great little bird.Sim-u-lator,Terry