Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Crash to desktop...:-(

Hi all,Have now tried a 5 hours and 39 minutes online flight from GCFV-ESSA two days in a row and both flights ended after about 4 hours flying with a nice little crach to the desktop caused by an 'Unknown' module!Can say that I'm all but happy right now... When it happened the first time I thought it was just a 'one-time-only'-thing but appearently not...Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this kind of problem or someone else experienced a similar problem where FS9 all of a sudden goes black and then after a couple of seconds tells you FS9 crached where the module causing the crach is 'Unknown'??Did a search in the forums here at AVSIM and found an old thread here in PMDG's forum with someone having a similar kind of problem in FS2002 and he was suggested to remove anything after the situation= line in FS2002.CFG and also make sure not having a situation with a PMDG a/c as his default startup flight. Will try this and see if it makes any difference since I do have a PMDG saved situation as my default startup situation.Wasn't long time ago I did a total reinstallation of my PC, so everything should be 100% clean and fresh.Programs I'm using part from PMDG's 737 are: (all with latest service packs/fixes)Active SkyFS2CrewUltimate TrafficActive CameraThanks in advance for any help you can give my guys!

Richard Åsberg

Guest merlin2

Now this could start a good debate! but one A/S and the NG are oil and water.FS Crew ok.U/T Don't have it so can't say.Active Camera the same.try the flight with these off,then one by one try the flight or a shorter one see if one of those is the cause.Howard

Howard,Would you mind elaborating on your statement "but one A/S and the NG are oil and water."? During my (and my collegues) testing of both these products I've seen glitches and some anomalies in the FS9 weather engine. With both products matured at this stage you shouldn't have any problems what-so-ever!Apart from that I would do as Howard suggested Richard. Test a flight with all your add-ons uninstalled except PMDG and go from there.Regards,

Well, trying to remove them all and then adding one by one is of course an option but feels like a rather cumbersome one, was hoping someone used to have a similar problem or that some clocks might ring for someone for an easy way to fix this problem. Also, on both flights the CTD hasn't occoured until after about 4 hours flying...so it would be a very timeconsuming way to find the problem and I do hope I will find another way to fix this.You say AS and PMDG don't like eachother? Haven't heard this before and have used them both for quite some time without any problems. In what way don't they like eachother?

Richard Åsberg

Guest brettdonahue

Please don't take this as an insult, I had a similar thing happen to my box, I would be able to fly for 3 hours, then when making my approach, crash!!! Windows would say something like a module 256 or something was the cause. When I looked it up it was saying that it was a driver file from my brand new ATI card. After wasting a month with Microsoft and getting no where, I took my card over to a friends house, slapped it in his box flew for hours, crashed,, ah-hem landed many times, no crash. In the end and to make this short, I found it to be my memory. Donno why as other games would not crash, but then again they don't load 800MG of scenery either. If possible, try to grab some different sticks.Cheers!

Hi there!Sure it could be a HW problem but I must say I doubt it since I don't have these kind of problems anywhere else including other very HW-demanding games like Half-Life 2 for instance.But then again, been in this business too long to be surprised anymore almost no matter what happen ;-)Thanks for your tip though, will add it to my list of things to try to get rid of this very frustrating problem.Was hoping for some feed-back from PMDG on the info I found in an old thread about not having any default situations saved that includes the PMDG a/c. So...if someone from the PMDG team reads this, could you please confirm whether this could still be an issue that could cause these kind of CTD problems?TIA,

Richard Åsberg

Richard I would have to agree that it could be a hardware problem, I was getting the CTD's which were cured when i got my 1 gig of ram and a stronger PSU. I did these both at the same time so not sure which one did it but I would have to assume it was the ram.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Well Jeremy, I do hope both of you are wrong ;-) since that would be a quite big expense to fix when you have 2 GB RAM to exchange...:-(

Richard Åsberg

Richard,I would also look at setting the CPU/GPU/VRAM clocks to normal speeds and see if that helps.Hope it helps,

Richard, have you used memtest recently? I would give that a shot on test 5 for at least as long as your flight so best to just do it overnight. If that is good you can probably rule that out. Next use prime95 to make sure that your OC is truly stable again run this for a while monitor your temps very closely. If all is good then you can eliminate your hardware from the mix. Next you should start looking at what programs you are running ie AS, FS2crew, etc.. run the sim without them, only the PMDG and see if you can fly the flight. If all goes well then add them in one by one. Also look at the different scenery that you may have installed at that area and try to add or remove to see if that is the problem. Everything must be systematic at this point otherwise you can screw up your config and possibly not remember exactly what you have done. Good luck.

________________________________________________________________________________

i9 10800K | 16GB RAM | RTX 3080 | Windows 10 | 

Saitek x-45 | Bravo Throttle | Alpha Yoke | CH Pedals | Logitech Radio Panel | SmoothTrack | AAO

Thanks alot for all your good tips but tonight I was finally able to complete the whole flight and by that I'm back home again at Arlanda after a loooong world tour :-)I came to think of I installed a texture enhancement pack called 'Lennart's textures' and tried removing it before this last flight and replaced all textures with the default FS9 ones and like I said - this time all went fine. So it seems (unfortunately considering how good looking his replacement textures are) that they contain some kind of bug. All this makes sense to me now since the crash always came when I was flying in over France. Not at the exact spot everytime but very close.Again, thanks for your interest in helping me solve my problem and all your tips!All the best,

Richard Åsberg