Sign in to follow this  
victorlima01

Correct Takeoff Procedure 737NG and where to find more 737 info

Hey all, first off I would like to estend my thanks to the PMDG for being so helpful in answering all questions regarding their product. Next I would like to bombard you guys with a few more.I'm having a little trouble in the takeoff procedure. Before takeoff I have been doing the following: arm f/d, arm autothrottle, arm Lnav, advance thrusters to 40%N1 and press TOGA. I rotate normally and the problem lies in the fact that the aircraft is reaching and exceeding V2+10 way too quickly, usually before I get to 200-300'AGL. To maintain V2+10 I would have to use way too much pitch. I would also like to know whether I should retract flaps from 5 to 1 (assuming a flaps 5 takeoff) as soon as I reach V2+15; even if this means I am only at 200'AGL. Last question. If I decide to proceed with the takeoff manually without engaging the autopilot and/or vnav does this means I have to manually set the speed bug incrementally in the speed tape as I proceed with flaps retraction, pass thru accel height etc? I realize I asked similar questions yesterday but I'm still a little lost. Now the second part of this thread is regardong the aircraft manual provided. Albeit very complete, the pdf documents did not answer all my questions, specifically the "ircraft systems" part. I would like to know if there's any other place where I can learn more about the 37NG. For example I would like to understand more about the hydraulics systems, yaw damper, equipment cooling etc.Once again thank you so much for the help. Cheers, Victor

Guest Hawkeyeted

Victor, what are you setting the speed at on the MCP? You should set it at V2. Once you get airborne, it will automatically set itself to V2+20, so as not to accelerate through. Once you are approx 1500 AGL, engage VNAV. The FMS will than manage speed based on flap settings/speed restrictions as defined in FMC./R,Ted Barkley

I rotate normally and the problem lies in the fact that the aircraft is reaching and exceeding V2+10 way too quickly, usually before I get to 200-300'AGL. To maintain V2+10 I would have to use way too much pitch. I would also like to know whether I should retract flaps from 5 to 1 (assuming a flaps 5 takeoff) as soon as I reach V2+15; even if this means I am only at 200'AGL Hello Victor, You are aiming for V2 + 20 not V2 + 10 because that is not even the minimum safe speed! The flight director is guiding for V2 + 20. It does come pretty quick on this and in RL. You can go from flaps 5 to 1 @ V2+15 regardless of height too, this is what the WestJet pilot on our team told me and he flys the 700 NG.Last question. If I decide to proceed with the takeoff manually without engaging the autopilot and/or vnav does this means I have to manually set the speed bug incrementally in the speed tape as I proceed with flaps retraction, pass thru accel height etc? The A/P is not turned on on takeoff. To turn on the A/P you must engage a CMD and that will not happen on the ground. So even if you engaged a CMD you would have to manually set the SPD and retract flaps as long as you had not pre selected VNAV in your climb prior to engagement of a CMD. What you are looking for is BUGUP speed then fully retract your flaps and speed up to 250 knots then it's your choice to whether engage VNAV but if you had selected a CMD in TOGA LVL CH will be your default pitch mode. [h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

Thank you Ted and Randy, now things are crystal clear! So do you guys know anything about that last quesito of mine regarding where to find additional information about the 737's systems? Cheers, Victor

Guest _sebastian_

>I rotate normally and the problem lies in the fact that>the aircraft is reaching and exceeding V2+10 way too quickly,>usually before I get to 200-300'AGL. To maintain V2+10 I would>have to use way too much pitch. I would also like to know>whether I should retract flaps from 5 to 1 (assuming a flaps 5>takeoff) as soon as I reach V2+15; even if this means I am>only at 200'AGL. Last question. If I decide to proceed with>the takeoff manually without engaging the autopilot and/or>vnav does this means I have to manually set the speed bug>incrementally in the speed tape as I proceed with flaps>retraction, pass thru accel height etc? I realize I asked>similar questions yesterday but I'm still a little lost. Hi Victor.I think many people forget that the AT/TOGA system work in unison with the N1 settings on the FMC's N1 LIMIT page. As a safety measure the default mode is 24K, but the thrust limit is normally derated by the pilot to 22K, or even 20K if conditions permit. This results in a more economical TO, reduced wear and tear and increased passenger comfort. I have found that using TO-1/CLB-2 is sufficient for a safe TO 8 out of 10 times and that even a TO-2/CLB-2 configuration is okay if the aircraft is light and takes off in a moderate headwind. Derated take-offs are actually mandatory with some airlines UNLESS full take-off power is required for safety reasons (e.g. wind shear risk or wet runway). The PMDG NG simulates derated take-offs quite convincingly it seems, so you may want to think about what a reasonable N1 limit would be before you make use of the AT/TOGA system!As to your other question I have never heard of anyone beginning flap retraction at 200 ft! That being said I believe it is heavily dependant upon airline policy. In SAS, for example, climb trust activates at 1500 ft. and flap retraction and acceleration to 250 knots (if speed restrictions exist) commences at 3000 ft.Regards/seb