Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pittsburgh

Is there such a thing as X BEFORE NAVAID

Guest Pittsburgh

Hi, I am getting rusty on my SID/STAR writing skills. I am trying to convert the following description into the proper syntax:At or above 535', not later than BGN 3 DME, turn right tracking 290 to intercept BGN R-270 to DEENA, thence...I think I can manage the first part about the altitude restriction, but I am totally lost on the "not later than". Is that even doable with out making a custom waypoint? I have looked through the excellent guide (Kudos, Mr. Yngling), but it illudes me. I also seem to remember that one of the updates gave the option to specify what direction to turn. Is that correct? Finally, I always wondered what the ", thence..." means. Does that imply that the part before the "thence" is just one of more transistions?Thanks :-waveBoazEKCH

Guest Hawkeyeted

You will need to create a custom waypoint, 3 DME on xxx radial from BGN VOR, with a 535' floor. That will tell the FMC to climb to 535; by that waypoint./R,Ted Barkley

Guest stang

Hi Boaz,>I also seem to remember that one of the updates>gave the option to specify what direction to turn. Is that>correct?Correct. You may want to get the current version of the tutorial as it includes the TURN LEFT/RIGHT options. Current version is at http://home.sw.rr.com/filesherenow/index.html.> Finally, I always wondered what the ", thence..." means. Does>that imply that the part before the "thence" is just one of>more transistions?Yup.RegardsTerry

Guest Hawkeyeted

> Finally, I always wondered what the ", thence..." means. Does>that imply that the part before the "thence" is just one of>more transistions?"Thence" is the Queens English. It's essentially the same as "then", as in next, or following. A SID or STAR (which ever you may be flying) may share a common portion of routing. "Thence" is used in the text description, indicating that common portion.(Sorry to all the kind folks in the UK. I always thought we were a common people seperated by an uncommon language....)/R,Ted