Sign in to follow this  
Guest alextooi

Manual landing or Autoland?

Guest aarskringspier

I do mostly manual right now as I am still learning the ins and outs of virtual flying. I do an auto land evey now and again to get the procedure down, but 95 percent of the time I am doing manual landings no matter the conditions until I can get it down fairly well.

Guest ZOTAN

I do manual landings most of the time. Ill have the A/P intercept the localizer and get me on the glideslope, but after that I hand fly. I will do a full autoland when weather is bad, but flying in California thats pretty rare.Matt

Interesting to read for developers. Seems there is no need to include Autoland in future packages. :-)I personaly do everything, autoland and hand flown landings, visual and instrument apporaches.Doing only one kind gets me bored very soon.Wolfgang

Guest aarskringspier

I dont think it is something to leave out, it is a fun feature. I do enjoy watching it land or autolanding in terrible weather. I dont do it often at this point because I am learning, and the best way to learn is to do.

The autoland usually helps me get the manual landings down in a new aircraft, just copy what the autopilot does and your good.Andrew

Guest speight

I always handflystarting at 1000ft agl if I have visual. If the vis is down, then it is autoland.

Guest Dash8driver

I hand fly 90% of my approaches. When in low vis right at mins, I'll go ahead and use autoland so that I can better manage the flight duties. But even then, if its a easy approach procedure, and I'm finding myself ahead of the plane, I'll kick off the AP for the hands on landing. Its a much more satisfying feeling after you put her on the centerline with 500 feet RVR.

Guest Gzr_GreenBean

I have recently started hand flying down from 400 feet, and now I enjoying it more. Before I started feeling comfortable with the NG, I let the AP land it, but now it is not a problem.Bill Ehmig

Guest speight

Coming from Edinburgh to Stansted on Vatsim in the 738, had hydraulics failure(prob due to typing a message in the chat box which was a command for a failure). So decided to make the entire approach from FL100 manually, with heavy traffic and compromised visibility. I told the controller of the situation,so he made allowance for my altitude innaccuracies. I landed as smooth as silk, my pulse was up and my ego as well! Much better than autoland!I wonder how it would be to fly manual in 200ft ceiling?

Alex-Well, lets see....In MSFS- I usually autoland- since i'm usually testing/trouble shooting something- and I want to see that the airplane will do what i'm trying to test/trouble shoot etc..... ;-)In the real world:My CAT II/CAT III is out of currency. So no autolands going on there at the moment. (besides- i'm not flying any equipment that will do it....)As for coupled approaches or hand flown approaches in the real world- it really depends on circumstances.I've hand flown approaches to minimums in 1/2 mile visibility, blowing snow, rain, fog.... You name it.... They aren't that hard to do- singularly and by themselves.The challenge in the real world comes from busy arrival procedures, extreme wind conditions, tight spacing, unfamiliar approaches, deferred equipment on the airplane (flight director, autopilot, etc.)The biggest challenge i've ever faced while flying an approach in the real world was fatigue.... Then it really makes good solid sense to snap that airplane onto the LOC/GS and set let the electronics bring you down to DH.....Whether or not I fly an approach by hand, by hand with a flight director, or coupled with the autopilot really is a decision that i make "On the Fly."I've seen lots of rubbish from supposedly manly pilots about how hand-flying is what "real pilots" do- etc etc.... But after 15 years in the airline industry- I'm of the opinon that "Real Pilots use Sound Judgement."The cockpit of an airplane is not a good place for such bravado. ;-)The key factor in making a decision whether to couple or hand fly- or hand fly without the F/D is your current frame of mind. I have hand flown with and without a flight director some very interesting approaches into all manner of weather, including windshear and white-out snow conditions...And I have coupled the airplane to an approach on a clear afternoon during the heavy arrival bank because we are extremely busy- and ATC is firing commands like a gattling gun.....It is all matter of safety and good judgement.This wasn't exactly what you were asking- but I hope it's insightful. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest Knikolaes

Nothing satisfies me more than to hand fly her in **smiles**I usually hand fly her from the outer marker, unless I am feeling really froggy then i'll hand fly from TOD. But when in a procedural mood I hold off till the OM then take her down the ILS.On visual approaches I hand fly her once I am cleared for approach (I.E. they are done vector-raping me for 50 turns -- crazy FS ATC).On short hops (less than 300 NM) I hand fly the entire flight.Nothing procedural -- just personal preference **smiles**